How do I deal with this?

Mizzo

Jan 15, 2020
My husband is 71 and had a stroke causing memory loss in 2013. It also affected the area of the brain controlling vision so he has a loss in one quadrant.He constantly forgets things and cannot remember where items go in the house. He gets very aggressive and angry when I make comment about this and turns it around to blame me. He says he will never go to a home and will take a "long walk". Lately he has been saying I should go with him.I am scared. I could leave and go and stay with family but if I do I would be losing the one big asset we have; namely our home. If I left him in possession of it it would devalue to the point of being worth less than we paid for it as he is a hoarder.I manage to contain him to two rooms and the garage but if I was not here he would fill the whole house.He has angry outbursts constantly. Screaming obscenities at items he is trying to use.I would really like to leave but feel I have left it too late. Our children would see it as betrayal of their father. I am at my wits end.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Although you feel you can’t leave is it possible for you to get away on your own more? You need to detach yourself from this stressful situation. Can you sign up for some classes eg yoga or Tai chi so as to get time to yourself? My local GP practice runs various exercise classes so is a safe environment.

Does he have medication to control temper outbursts? Does your GP know about this?

Mizzo

Jan 15, 2020
Although you feel you can’t leave is it possible for you to get away on your own more? You need to detach yourself from this stressful situation. Can you sign up for some classes eg yoga or Tai chi so as to get time to yourself? My local GP practice runs various exercise classes so is a safe environment.

Does he have medication to control temper outbursts? Does your GP know about this?
Thank you for reply. I do Pilates and walk regularly with my friend who is also an outlet. I can go away but the longer I am away the more it costs me in terms of what I have facing me when I get back. He does a big tidy up when he knows I am due back but it is not a CLEAN up. Lol