How Cranberry Juice Fights Bacteria that Cause Urinary Tract Infections

carpe diem

Nov 16, 2011
Bristol
I have seen other studies which say the cranberry juice thing is a myth and I can't see how big this study was but drinking anything is probably good, including a few beers when ya need em :D

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
Certainly, having a plentiful fluid intake is helpful in preventing UTI's. It can also help alleviate some of the symptoms and possibly shorten the duration of an actual infection. Both rely on the principle of keeping urine less concentrated and also keeping the bladder well flushed so that bacteria have less time to set up home there and multiply.

There is some controversy over the use of cranberry. However, it is worth noting that the recent coverage in the press compares the use of cranberry with a low dose of antibiotic, rather than compared with no treatment. The assessments covered also did not examine the use of cranberry as a preventative agent.

So we should not be really surprised that cranberry is probably not as effective as antibiotics in treating an actual infection.

It is thought that proanthocyanidins in cranberry help to prevent bacteria from adhering to the bladder wall - instead they are simply flushed away. It also helps to acifidy the urine, making the bladder less hospitable to the bacteria.

In any case, cranberry juice is useful as a source of fluids, although it's high acidity and natural sugar content may be a problem for tooth decay. cranberry extract tablets can be a sensible alternative.

They are, in any case, extremely unlikely to cause any harm.

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
Cranberry juice works for clearing up mild cystitis. I've had a few bouts over the years and since I discovered cranberry juice haven't needed anti-biotics so there must be something in it that works. Cystitis isn't quite the same thing as a UTI (or so my GP told me) but it's interesting to note.

24fan

Nov 13, 2011
Given that a bad UTI can send healthy old people 'mad' and/or land them in hospital and we all know you get more in hospital than you went in with, I live in fear of one so Daddy has cranberry capsules (from Boots) every day as he doesn't really like the juice, and so far ... fingers crossed.

He's good with taking pills though and not everyone is but if they are, and they don't like the juice, capsules may be the solution. I take them too and they do seem to ward off cystitis but they are no use when you have a UTI, they are a preventative.

Even our G.P. approved and he doesn't believe in anything 'alternative'.

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
Cystitis simply means inflammation of the bladder - it comes from the Greek word for bladder, cysto.

The most common cause of cystitis is a bacterial infection, so that would be a UTI. As it is them most common cause, the two terms are frequently used as having the same meaning.

However, there are other causes of cystitis - basically it's anything that irritates and inflames the bladder, leading to the classic symptoms of frequent/urgent urination and burning sensations.

This is why it is necessary to have the dipstick test, because there is no point in offering antibiotics if the cause is not bacterial. However, it is also true to say that in an otherwise healthy young adult, even an infection may need no treatment other than plentiful fluids as it would be expected to resolve naturally after a few days anyway.

Another cause is bladder stones. These are like kidney stones in that excess minerals in the urine may in time deposit in the bladder forming a stone. This stone may irritate the bladder lining causing cystitis.

Some people suffer from ideopathic cystitis. Ideopathic means that there is no identifiable cause. This is relatively rare but is the normal diagnosis if all tests come up negative.

Stress is a known trigger for non-infective cystitis. In the same way that stress in others can cause excess acid leading to stomach upsets, in others there is abdominal pain and diarrhea as the muscles of the bowel respond. So some people have sensitive bladders that become easily inflamed.

Due to the construction of the "waterworks" women are many times more likely to suffer from a UTI than are men. The urethra (the pipe from the bladder to the outside) is much shorter, which means bacteria have a much easier route to the bladder.

A UTI in a man will usually trigger further investigations as they are so much rarer and there is often an underlying cause such as prostate problems.

TedHutchinson

Account Closed
May 20, 2009
Louth Lincs
I think the reason for the mixed results for UTI prevention with cranberry drinks is that many are extremely dilute and use sugar to make them tasty so are promoting e coli growth at the same time as not making a very good job of providing a non-stick lining to the urinary tract/bladder.
However as part of any anti UTI program they can be useful.
I'm still UTI free and so what I'm doing continues to be successful despite the fact that 5 times daily I' have to insert a foreign object into my bladder which inevitably pushes up the bugs that may be lurking.

The nonstick surface idea for Cranberry is also part of the way MELATONIN works but melatonin is also working a bit like an antibiotic. in reducing E coli numbers.

If you get fed up with the Cranberry juice you may want to try red wine source of melatonin and resveratrol.

Oral consumption of cranberry juice cocktail inhibits molecular-scale adhesion of clinical uropathogenic Escherichia coli

Here is a readable guide to
Natural Approaches to Prevention and Treatment of Infections of the Lower Urinary Tract
You may also think it's worthwhile to keep a pack of D-Mannose handy as that attracts the bugs away from the bladder walls and if you are also drinking plenty they get flushed down the loo.

Last edited:

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
Yes you need to be selective in choosing the juice. For one thing, always choose juices with no added sugar. Cranberry although quite tart still has a high level of natural sugars but some are sweetened with refined sugar, usually sucrose.

This is why it is not especially good for the teeth.

If this is a concern, or the juice is unpalatable, extract tablets offer a good alternative. Of course in that case it is essential to maintain a plentiful fluid intake. Most people don;t drink enough and if you suffer from cystitis you need even more

Urine colour is a good indicator. It should be a pale straw colour. Any darker indicates it is concentrated. However, remember that urine is naturally darker first thing, because the body is both disposing of waste during sleep but cuts down on volume produced so we don;t have to wake up to pee every two hours!

TedHutchinson

Account Closed
May 20, 2009
Louth Lincs
because the body is both disposing of waste during sleep but cuts down on volume produced so we don;t have to wake up to pee every two hours!
That's one of the advantages of melatonin, it helps the bladder relax (increases volume) and cuts urine production (lowers the volume of urine) so there's less need for the 3am visit. That's apart from the role melatonin has in inhibiting e coli. You should be able to get Time Release melatonin prescription from your doctor if you can't afford the £10 a year it costs from the USA. I would prefer people to get their own. The NHS spent £3.400,000 on 44,000 melatonin prescriptions in the last 2 yrs that's £77 per prescription. When you can get a whole years supply(=12 prescriptions) of 3mg time release melatonin for less than £10 you can see just how doctors pharmacists and the drug industry rip off the NHS and are bleeding it to death.
We really shouldn't be participating in this criminal conspiracy to defraud.
I 've just read that report detailing prescribing costs for melaton again and it says the average cost per prescription for Circadin (the most common prescription) is £25 so 12 x 25= £300 for the equivalent you would pay £12.00 approx.(that's not an exact comparison because Circadin is 2mg and I'm comparing with 3mg (most older people will require more possibly working up to 8~10mg.)

Last edited:

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
Indeed, although I would suggest that needing to get up in the night to pee suggests there might be a problem that warrants investigation.

Needing to get up during the night to pee shouldn't be disregarded as normal or just a consequence of age. Normally the body operates mechanisms that slow down production of urine and make it more concentrated so that we don't have our sleep broken.

It is certainly true that the commonest cause of being woken in the night to pee is age - the bladder and associated muscles weaken. It is possible to do exercises to strengthen these, they are called pelvic floor muscles. But there are underlying health issues that can also cause this problem, so it is important to have these eliminated.

That is particularly the case in men because night-time peeing is one of the common symptoms of prostate problems. Again, the commonest of these is harmless in itself - many men's prostates just get bigger with age. This is called Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH). It is harmless in itself, but may need treating in that it can cause annoying symptoms (frequent and difficult urination, especially at night) which can in turn lead to urine retention - which leads to infections. Ultimately it can block the urethra, which is a medical emergency (and extremely painful) though fortunately this is rare.

But malignant conditions can also cause identical symptoms, only a medical professional can dianose this. Prostate cancer causes similar enlargement - fortunately such cancers tend to be both slow growing and are unlikely to spread. In elderly men they are often left untreated, or growth is slowed with hormones, the aim to establish "watchful waiting" and control symptoms. This is because you are likely to die of old age before the cancer becomes significant. However, there are agressive forms, so again it is vital to see a doctor.

Usually the first thing to be done is a DRE - Digital Rectal Exam. This is not particularly pleasant, it involves the doctor feeling the prostate directly, in order to determine whether it has suspiscious charateristics, such as unusual size, is hard rather than soft or has noticeable lumps. There is also a blood test which looks for PSA - a chemical in the blood that can indicate the presence of cancer. Unfortunately this test is not overly reliable, giving both false negatives and positives. Men with high PSA may be healthy and undergo undue worry and unecessary testing, whilst men with low PSA may not be clear. For this reason, there is no PSA screening program.

The prostate is unique to men, so this is one worry women don;t have. On the other hand, they are much more likely to get UTI's. You win some, you lose some :) !

Last edited:

TedHutchinson

Account Closed
May 20, 2009
Louth Lincs
Indeed, although I would suggest that needing to get up in the night to pee suggests there might be a problem that warrants investigation.
But melatonin production declines naturally as we age. Just getting older INEVITABLY means melatonin production is lower hence less to control the urine output or bladder expansion..
While you may be right it's common that common things commonly occur and lower melatonin production as you age like lower vitamin d production is UNAVOIDABLE so not just very common it's universal.
Needing to get up during the night to pee shouldn't be disregarded as normal or just a consequence of age. Normally the body operates mechanisms that slow down production of urine and make it more concentrated so that we don't have our sleep broken.
I hear what you say but am not convinced.

It is certainly true that the commonest cause of being woken in the night to pee is age - the bladder and associated muscles weaken. It is possible to do exercises to strengthen these, they are called pelvic floor muscles. But there are underlying health issues that can also cause this problem, so it is important to have these eliminated.
Seems to me you are determined not to understand the obvious factor of melatonin production declining with age. Why ignore the obvious?

That is particularly the case in men because night-time peeing is one of the common symptoms of prostate problems. Again, the commonest of these is harmless in itself - many men's prostates just get bigger with age. This is called Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH). It is harmless in itself, but may need treating in that it can cause annoying symptoms (frequent and difficult urination, especially at night) which can in turn lead to urine retention - which leads to infections. Ultimately it can block the urethra, which is a medical emergency (and extremely painful) though fortunately this is rare.
Benign prostatic hyperplasia & vitamin D again the reduction in vitamin D as we age is inevitable UNLESS you increase the amounts from supplements.
You don't have to accept BPH as inevitable, You can avoid it by keeping your vitamin D levels up. and Correcting Melatonin deficiency
For this reason, there is no PSA screening program.
Fair points. I think prostate cancer screening, like breast cancer screening is probably a money generating scam for health professionals and the cancer industry and does more harm than good for patients who end up with more stress, more unnecessary treatments and ultimately more people die than would have been the case if they'd not intervened at all. The thing is although they can diagnose small cancers they can't say if they are the ones that will progress or decline or do nothing at all. So once you know you've got a cancer you'll worry till it's out. If you never knew you'd not worry and more than likely nothing would happen except in summer when your vit d goes up it would disappear and you'd be none the wise.
The prostate is unique to men, so this is one worry women don;t have.
I think that's a bit unfair surely women get more than their fair share of breast cancer, I know men can get it too but not nearly to the same extent. Same arguments against screening apply though. I've got a endless supply of links to throw at anyone who wants to argue the point sufficient to bore you to death.

On the other hand, they are much more likely to get UTI's. You win some, you lose some :) !
But my personal risk of UTI because I HAVE to self catheterise every time I empty my bladder is higher than any woman. (well perhaps a prostitute with 5 clients daily would be equivalent) If I can remain UTI free then so can everyone else.
It's not magic, it's simply applying science.

DLM

I have seen other studies which say the cranberry juice thing is a myth and I can't see how big this study was but drinking anything is probably good, including a few beers when ya need em :D

I tend to agree. We both drink gallons of cranberry juice and the UTI's still come.

Same thing for d-mannose (sp ?) tried for two weeks and UTI can back.

At least Cranberry juice is good and pleasant drink.

We also have learned to have the lab doing the urine analysis to also do a culture and identify which infectious bug we are dealing with. If they do the culture they identify the antibiotics that work best.