How can this be?

keywest67

Mar 19, 2012
Coventry
Hi Anongirl
I must admit my Dad was so up and down you just never knew how he would be from one day to another, in fact I could go and see him and my sister would visit 2 hours later and our experience of how he was would often differ greatly, it's a terribly confusing illness , I just took the good days when they came and made the most of them but it's very hard.

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Hi Anongirl
I must admit my Dad was so up and down you just never knew how he would be from one day to another, in fact I could go and see him and my sister would visit 2 hours later and our experience of how he was would often differ greatly, it's a terribly confusing illness , I just took the good days when they came and made the most of them but it's very hard.

It is hard. I've seen her mood swings but this is a whole other level!

I don't think any of us will ever understand xxx

angecmc

Dec 25, 2012
hertfordshire
Just a thought, does your Mum sleep at night?, my Mum mostly sleeps only two or three hours at the most, so often appears as though she has been sedated when we visit, not always though, how she manages to stay awake for so long is beyond me. You say you can access her medication records whenever you like, that's the same for me, so I really don't think they would sedate without our knowledge, it really would be a risky thing to do. I really think, hard though it is, we have to accept that these horrible days are part of this cruel illness. I have to say though, I too spend alot of time trying to find answers. Hope your Mum continues to improve or at least plateaus for a while so that you can relax a little, take care xx

Ange

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Thanks Ange.

I'm told she barely sleeps and can get up and wander into other resident's rooms. If this happens and they can't get her back to bed they let her come down to the lounge and make her a warm drink. Apparently last week she was up at 2am!

They said in the hospital, when she spent a night there, that she was particularly unsettled at night and barely slept at all. Like you I wonder how she copes with so little rest.

I did wonder if this could account for her condition last week but I have never seen her that bad. She didn't seem sleepy, just completely unresponsive. Like nothing would work from head to toe.

My brother visited today and he said she was fast asleep. He didn't have the heart to wake her. I'm guessing she had a disturbed night again.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Just catching up, AG, and am glad that your mum continues to improve. I'm afraid I have no answers for you other than suggestions that have already been made, unfortunately. I get just as confused about my own mam's behaviour and symptoms and often there seems no rhyme or reason to them. This illness is just relentless and exhausting for all concerned.

Thanks for asking about my mam. She's now on Risperidone and some things have improved, whilst others have worsened, or changed. It's pretty baffling really.

Big hugs xx

MeganCat

Jan 29, 2013
South Wales
I'm glad your mums on the mend AG

Care home rang today, my mum has a chest infection so has been given antibiotics, starting them tonight. she's not eating or drinking so they are monitoring intakes more carefully. GP plans on reviewing in 2 days.
I've been off this roller coaster for a couple of months, things have been settled - it just sends you into an anxiety spiral doesn't it?

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Just catching up, AG, and am glad that your mum continues to improve. I'm afraid I have no answers for you other than suggestions that have already been made, unfortunately. I get just as confused about my own mam's behaviour and symptoms and often there seems no rhyme or reason to them. This illness is just relentless and exhausting for all concerned.

Thanks for asking about my mam. She's now on Risperidone and some things have improved, whilst others have worsened, or changed. It's pretty baffling really.

Big hugs xx

I've noticed with mum that when she seems to lose one thing another seems to improve. No one seems to have any explanation for the changes. It seems that anything to do with the brain is just too complicated for us mere mortals to comprehend!

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
I'm glad your mums on the mend AG

Care home rang today, my mum has a chest infection so has been given antibiotics, starting them tonight. she's not eating or drinking so they are monitoring intakes more carefully. GP plans on reviewing in 2 days.
I've been off this roller coaster for a couple of months, things have been settled - it just sends you into an anxiety spiral doesn't it?

Aww sorry to hear about your mum, I hope she improves soon. I do worry about illnesses because infections/viruses seem to cause so much havoc.

This last few weeks have been the epitome of a roller coaster! Mum not eating, then her seizures and hospital stay. Followed by improvement followed by her complete deterioration last Thursday, when I really expected the worse was about to happen. Then this weekend where she's sat laughing eating biscuits and drinking tea! :confused:

Totally wrings you out xx