How can I protect my Dad from undue influence from my sister who is his carer

Concerned about Dad

Mar 3, 2021
My Dad has been in a care home since October last year. My sister owns his property having bought it from him years ago for a song.
His property has fallen into disrepair and he kept having falls. Despite constant requests from family members she refused to acknowledge the need for making repairs to his home. Now he is in care, he is afraid to go against her will in case she sells his home, he still wishes to go back and it’s this that keeps him fighting. The fact is, the flat is in such a state and my sister has told social services she feels it is unsafe for him there, despite being the only person who can put this right. She has disabled calls to his phone and when I established an agreement for the nurses to call me on it, she arranged for it to be taken from him and locked away under the pretence it was for the phones safety. I have bought a new phone but she has threatened to cancel Dads contract if I send it in and I’m worried she’ll convince the nurses to continue to take it away from him. Dad won’t confront her as she is the only one who can facilitate his return home which she will not do. What can I do to remove her as next of kin?

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
I'm not sure why your dad should live in a property he no longer owns where your sister clearly doesn't wish to be his carer. Does anyone have power of attorney? Also a person with dementia saying he wants to go home is very very common when they are in care . In fact, it's considered quite normal. Others will be along soon with better advice

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
What do you want to happen to your dad @Concerned about Dad ?

I would have thought that he would be much safer and not so much under your sisters control in a care home.

I know he wants to "go home", but Im afraid that most people with dementia do and you have to look at their needs, not their wants.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jwpp