How Can I Live With This Guilt

Julychick

Mar 12, 2017
West Molesey, Surrey.
I joined this group because I know I can't say this to people who know me.

I live with overwhelming guilt, about something that I haven't heard about from anyone else.

My husband had a massive stroke 23 years ago, I had 4 children at home at the time.

After 6 months of re-hab, he came home, he was a different man, almost a stranger. I had to get on with life, I had to work, juggle the family and care for my husband. I got a job with hours to fit around all this, and had the advantage of parents 3 doors away, to help.

20 years later, his personality changed again, and as is so common, I had to fight to get him tests, because the consultants made up their minds he was depressed. Finally, it was proved, he has mixed dementia, Vascular Dementia and Alzheimer's.

Now the stranger that I looked after for all those years, has changed personality, again.
I feel that my husband is gone, but I can't grieve because he's still here. Only it's so hard now, the care he needs goes way beyond personal care, it involves me taking verbal abuse, and me feeling trapped as I stay with him 24 hours a day. His children won't visit us because of his nastiness, the same goes with all my friends.

His Dementia's are not advancing quickly, in fact after 2 and a half years with medication, he's probably still in the first stages. It doesn't seem to be affecting his memory enormously, but has taken his character away, he has no empathy anymore.

My problem is, he can't be left on his own because of his lack of mobility and the epilepsy (also caused by the stroke) I am waiting for Adult Social Care to decide if they will fund him for a weeks respite. My problem is how to care for someone I don't love. I hear all the sad stories about people caring for their loved ones, but how do I care for someone I don't even like sometimes? There, I've done it, I've admitted my guilt.

Last edited:

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Sorry, what's your guilt about? That you don't love him? Honey, that's not something you can change, and if you look after someone you don't love, you're a saint. You don't have to stay and take his abuse, no one can expect that from you, and it seems like everyone else, including his children, have decided that for themselves already. Do Social Sevices know how he treats you? You shouldn't have to beg for a week's respite. They know that you have every right to walk away from his care completely - but do you know that? Kick the guilt monster off your shoulder - you have cared for this man for 23 years, you have done more than your duty and if you can no longer cope, tell them so. There is nothing to be ashamed of, so don't you dare let anyone guilt-trip you. You have my sympathies.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to TP :)

I'm so glad you've got all that out.

You do not have to look after him.
You can place him in a home or get carers in to help you at home.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Oh Julychick, plz don't feel guilty and take this from another chick. You have cared for your husband for all these years and you need help now. Have you had a carer assessment? There are admiral nurses who can help or a befriending services like Crossroads or Age U.K. No one can make you care for your husband . Maybe it's time to take a step back and let the appropriate services deal with the situation. In the meantime big hugs xxxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Delphie

Dec 14, 2011
You have my admiration as I don't know if I could've done everything you have, and for so, so long.

Please feel no guilt. And please start looking for ways to enable you to relinquish your carer role.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Julychick

I will just reiterate everything that has been said previously. It is hard enough to care for someone you love and who has loved you in return . To care for someone as you have, for so long, and to be treated so badly is soul destroying and you do not need to put yourself through this any longer.

Ask for help to care for your husband. Be honest. The responsibility doesn't need to be yours and the guilt is very misplaced .

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
I have often wondered how on earth people manage to care for a person with dementia when the love simply isn't there - I don't think I could do it and you really do have my admiration for how you have coped so far.

I have used TP since 2012 and have seen many similar heart-breaking stories - the children who had an awful upbringing now caring for those who did not care for them; the spouses/partners who had been on the verge of leaving the relationship to suddenly find themselves 'trapped' into staying in a loveless union because of this diagnosis (guilt being the driving force).

Some manage it somehow, but others don't. The thing to remember is that the powers that be won't readily tell you that you do not have to take up the mantle or responsibility of carer. I am sure they rely on a potential carer's strong feelings of guilt to lead the way in care.

I didn't even know that I was a carer until several years into my husband's diagnosis, In my eyes I was just a wife who was now responsible for her husband's care. If I had been given a choice I would have chosen to care because we were in a good marriage. The point is that nobody told me that I had a choice and nor are others told, it is something you discover on forums like this.

The burden of care does not rest on your shoulders. You can still play a part, from a distance, by helping to inform others how to care for your husband, his likes and dislikes, as you know him best. By doing that you are still helping him get the best care but without being forced to take responsibility for it.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My husband has FTD and has changed personality completely, although in his case his short-term memory is OK too. Everything came to a head last year and I finally admitted to myself that the husband I loved is gone and I do not love this person who is now living in his skin. Yes, it is hard to admit it.

On another forum I was advised to step back emotionally and view myself as a carer, not as a wife. In fact, that person advised that I view my husband and relate to him as if he were the husband of a friend that I was looking after as a job. So now I wear my "professional" hat all day and I think it does help.

Has your husband had a needs assessment by social services? Take all the help you can get. I have taken on a cleaner to give me a bit of extra time. My husband is still OK to be left for a couple of hours, so I have one or two things that I go out for and he goes to weekly coffee morning which is not specifically for dementia, but most people there have experience of dementia and are understanding.

Finally - I will lend you the Talking Point Guilt Monster Stick with which to bash the living daylights out of that guilt monster sitting on your shoulder!

la lucia

Jul 3, 2011
Over in the News and Campaigns forum, a couple of weeks back, is a link to a Radio 4 Women’s Hour clip. I titled it Sex, Love and Dementia.

It's an extraordinary interview with an extraordinary women called Sue who talks with real clarity and openness about the shift from being a 'wife' to a 'carer'. She doesn't gloss over anything.

I really, really recommend listening to it.