Hospitalisation and care

Sandy47

Aug 14, 2019
Has anyone had a loved one with Alzheimers admitted to hospital with a bladder infection and/or a blocked bowel?
MOH was admitted to hospital nearly 3 weeks ago and was found to have a UTI which was treated with anti biotics. They found he was also constipated and had a blockage in his bowel.
He has been given enemas and laxatives but the bowel is still blocked.
He has eaten very little since he's been there, partly due to delirium which makes him sleep a lot, partly because no one seems to realise that he needs to be given the food and needs help to get it to his mouth. I have offered to go in and feed him at mealtimes but am not allowed as I am restricted to a one hour session each day, booked beforehand.
A week ago he seemed to be improving and I was told that he would probably be discharged this coming week.
The last three days he has really gone downhill and no one can explain why his bowel is still blocked after all this time. As he's eating very little or nothing at all most days, there is no food going through his system to help remove the blockage.
I am constantly told it is all to do with his dementia but it seems that this is an excuse to let him get weaker and weaker until he is no longer their problem.
The day before he was admitted he was active during the day, didn't need any help to eat or drink, was walking up and down the stairs several times a day, could get in and out of bed unaided and understand what was going on.
Now he hasn't been out of bed at all for nearly three weeks, has lost a huge amount of weight and is usually asleep or delirius when I visit.
Has anyone else been in a similar situation, as I cannot believe it should take this long to clear a blockage in the bowel? I am so worried that he is just being left to die.

Cookie123

Dec 6, 2019
I’m so sorry to read this. I recently experienced similar w my husband. I am a nurse in another hospital and know the chief nurse and matron in the department. I was shocked and angry about the 1 hr visit slots and other issues including lack of mobilisation. I made a formal complaint which I fear is the only way to get their attention. I arranged discharge to respite which I just made permanent. That’s a whole other sad decision I’m trying to deal with. Good luck.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
That is awful, @Sandy47. My partner is just coming out of hospital today after 3 frustrating weeks and a failed discharge, so I know how hard it can be. Her dementia navigator and social worker have been very helpful as has the carers liaison officer.
I don't know if you have such support where you are, but calling the dementia connect helpline and your local carers support centre will hopefully get you some advocacy and advice.
https://carers.org/ and https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/dementiaconnect will give you the phone numbers to call. Good luck, and don't be afraid to assert yourself or let the doctors on the ward know how worried you are.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i would have thought that being mobile and drinking would be more productive than leaving him in bed. also maybe in cant eat because hes full up, and not hungry with a full bowel.