Hospital stay

pitufi

Nov 29, 2015
London
Well!
What a week. As suggested I tried to let the hospital know about the available room and they pushed a lil extra so between us finally mom was given a room at our chosen CH!
I will be paying a top up fee towards it but it was my choice after seeing the home they were pushing towards, I understand it's up to me to match any changes in charges and between my husband and I can afford a small contribution after shuffling some finances.
In the end my mom's happiness is paramount and i am sure she would have cried for me to come get her from the social worker's choice.

My mom's new care home has plenty of activities, the room is tastefully decorated and modern (she still loves minimalist Scandinavian decor even with VD!) has a wonderful large garden and is about 5-10 min walk from our flat so can easily drop in even on my way to work and when we have the baby with us.

This is a HUGE weight off my mind, she moves tomorrow (hospital discharge at 11ish am) and I'm planning to hopefully take her for a walk there since it's right across the hospital, make it a nice walk with a magnum ice cream (her fave) and hang out with her in the home for a few hrs.

I don't want to make a big deal about her 'moving'
When we went to A&E 6 weeks ago we didn't know she wasn't gonna go back to her flat and when she was admitted to hospital we didn't talk about home since she didn't bring it up at all.
I think a smooth transition without mention of a new home so to speak would be best in her situation but I'd welcome tips for a happy move from hospital.

Husband and I already popped in tonight to the CH and put up some of her framed pictures and paintings and some clean clothes to try make it more her own. Hopefully have time to sort out the rest over this week and next.

I'm now on my last antenatal classes and really not long till baby is here and I could cry I'm so happy we resolved all of this in time

I'm under no illusions that all is over, I'll still be visiting almost daily to make sure mom doesn't feel left behind and to try keep communications open with the CH with notes and info about my mother's routine, likes and dislikes. Being so close by really will make things so much more casual and relaxed for both of us.

I can't thank you all enough for all the help and information over the last 6 weeks. Keeping notes and chasing up people really helped but also you all letting me know about people's roles within social services, hospital staff and whose opinion mattered to them try to chase up. It was all very overwhelming and confusing and it took all my strength to understand it all!

I'm excited about tomorrow and hope it all goes smoothly. Thankfully I have a half day at work on Wednesday so can pop in and see her at least once ❤️