Hospital or home

Flossie2

Aug 18, 2016
I have been told that my mum is now at end of life and probably will die in weeks. She is in hospital. The hospital is not like a normal hospital, its more specifically for elderly people and people with dementia. They are well staffed and very friendly. I am torn between leaving her at the hospital or taking her home. Unfortunately I am on my own and would need lots of help as I could not sleep worrying about something happening to her. To be honest I am also scared of her choking or something and not getting help in time. My personal choice would be to leave her in hospital and obviously spend as much time as I can with her - the hospital let's me stay as long as I like. I am feeling guilty as I know my mum would prefer to be at home she is not eating or drinking, has no swallow, cannot speak and just stares into space most of the time. What a nightmare.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm so sorry to read of your situation. It's heartbreaking to watch a loved one in the last weeks and days.

I do feel for you. When it was clear no more could be done for my husband in hospital the plan was for him to return home. While in my heart I wanted him at home I remember being really scared of the thought that for much of the time I would be the only person there for him. In the end he passed away in hospital before a support package could be organised.

My feeling is that you should do what is right for you. It sounds as if the hospital is a caring place and that you and your mum will both be well supported there.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
The hospital sounds an ideal environment for your mum at this stage, you know she's well cared for and you can see her as much as you like without the anxiety of being responsible for her care. Please don't feel guilty, there is no guarantee she would even know she was back at home. My gran died at home (with a live-in carer) and I have no idea if she had any idea where she was, she didn't react to us in the last few weeks.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrsmagsey