Horizon tonight

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
A documentary Curing Alzheimer`s 8pm.

Documentary investigating scientific breakthroughs in research on Alzheimer's disease, which are bringing hope to millions of sufferers across the world. New scanning and gene technology is allowing scientists to identify the disease at its earliest stages, often 15 years before symptoms appear and brain cells are destroyed, with drug trials in Colombia, USA and Europe showing startling success. The programme also reveals the changes in lifestyle that can prevent the development of the disease, as well as the effects of a UK-wide trial.

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
I just spotted that myself- looks interesting . I will definitely record it, but I'm not sure about early diagnosis. Who wants to know that far in advance what lies ahead?- only if you can prevent it's progression.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Sorry to sound dumb but is Horizon the name of the channel? I can't find it anywhere.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I have to admit I`ve only recorded it. I can`t watch it at the moment, not when whatever new development is way too late for my husband.

As for whether or not it`s too late for me is another story but not one I can face just yet.

The Chewtor

Feb 6, 2016
Gillingham, Kent
I do not think of myself as a particularly pessimistic person but maybe i am.
adding tonights information to what i have already does little to cheer.
we are 4 years away from the best bet drug finishing phase 3 testing. in the uk the BMA take up to 10 years toi sanction the use of a drug.
this drug needs to be started before earliest signs to do most good. these signs are at 30 years old, 15 years before the signs properly kick in. so in the UK anyone over 16 today can forget it!!!

this programme is just another attempt at giving us hope. i have that anyway but usually just try to be practical and find coping strategies rather than hope. :)

wayne

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
I was debating whether to watch it, but I'm glad I did in the end. There's every reason to believe that science will eventually find a way to manage the disease.

But the results of the two main clinical trials covered won't be out for another four years so it's still a case of playing the long game, I'm afraid.

Narnia

May 11, 2016
Ireland
I am glad I watched it. My Mother started showing symptoms in her early 50's and that was over 10 years ago now. In those 10 years I have gone from no hope of a prevention or cure to the possibility of one. Way too late for my Mother I know however I have another 10 years before I am in my early 50's so there might be time for me yet! None of that matters really because what is more important than any of this is that it gives me hope that by the time my daughter has grown up that Alzheimer's might be a thing of the past.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
I have to admit I`ve only recorded it. I can`t watch it at the moment, not when whatever new development is way too late for my husband.

As for whether or not it`s too late for me is another story but not one I can face just yet.

Me too sylvia, i was going to watch it but dont think i can bear to .
Wayne you really are an inspiration.to keep hoping is amazing. I hope we all help support that hope just a little.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm very much the same Sylvia and bemused. I find it very difficult to watch or read about anything like this. While Bill was at the stage of being able to take part in clinical trials I did try to keep up with everything. Now that he is at quite an advanced stage I find it more difficult.

I too admire your attitude Wayne.

Chaucer 1931

Mar 30, 2014
I watched it and I also felt that it was not hopeful for those of us here today,I lost my mum,aunties and grandmas to the disease,my turn will be inevitable but the breakthrough prevention cures being researched will still be too little too late for me and my children..I hope that this research will benefit and help future generations,but there's not much consolation for us on TP at this moment in time...

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I watched it and was encouraged by the amount of research going on. It may be a long way off to find a cure but my children and grandchildren might benefit. Since John's Alzheimers is most definitely genetic then this is our only hope for future generations.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Like others I tend to record these programmes but don't actually want to watch them and seldom do.

It also bugs me that AD is usually presented in the blurb for such programmes as a single disease for which there will eventually be a single cure.

The Chewtor

Feb 6, 2016
Gillingham, Kent
bemused1 -
Wayne you really are an inspiration.to keep hoping is amazing. I hope we all help support that hope just a little.
izzy -

thank you for the comments but it may be misplaced as, rightly or wrongly, i have little to no hope for me but the reason i am involved in the research projects is to take steps towards protecting those yet to come. their salvation is my hope and my strength coupled with the tremendous support i get from you here, it will go on until we WIN!

wayne :)

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
bemused1 -
izzy -

thank you for the comments but it may be misplaced as, rightly or wrongly, i have little to no hope for me but the reason i am involved in the research projects is to take steps towards protecting those yet to come. their salvation is my hope and my strength coupled with the tremendous support i get from you here, it will go on until we WIN!

wayne :)

Yes I agree we all need hope in our lives. Research is ongoing TG. Is there any research/ information on areas in the world where there are no Alzheimers sufferers or a tiny percentage compared to the western world?

Aisling

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Like others I tend to record these programmes but don't actually want to watch them and seldom do.

It also bugs me that AD is usually presented in the blurb for such programmes as a single disease for which there will eventually be a single cure.

I agree with you Stanley. Since T was diagnosed, I read every book I could get my hands on, journals etc, etc, and also watched many programmes. At the moment I don't want to watch anymore.

Aisling

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micmomgram 5