hoping to make a difference

cherish

Mar 9, 2013
Hertfordshire
Hi everyone,
I have worked in elderly residential care for many years. The one thing that is very apparent to me is the lack of support for family members of loved ones that have been diagnosed with dementia. I am researching into how I could make a difference and any comments would be very welcome. I feel confident that the residents I work with are very well cared for but my concerns are also with their families and how best to provide positive support.

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
sounds a great ambition. Not sure how I could help you though.

I must say my husbands last respite week was disastrous, and I felt he was not " cared " for at all, and I certainly was not supported.

Jeannette

dognecks

Feb 11, 2013
bridport
:)am a carer and do take an interest in all i look after , i treat everyone as if they where apart of my own family, giving them the best care possible, .i also do house visits too vunerable elderly in my spare time and helping out with what i can,. . as vunerable elderly living alone are on the increase, with things like bad press on care homes and home callers and the exspense, am not surprised, . but at least my own actions are positive, and im doing my bit
paul

cherish

Mar 9, 2013
Hertfordshire
sounds a great ambition. Not sure how I could help you though.

I must say my husbands last respite week was disastrous, and I felt he was not " cared " for at all, and I certainly was not supported.

Jeannette

sorry to hear that Jeannette, can you say how this could have been different and what kind of support would have helped you.

Pacucho

Just read your thread regarding how to help family members of relatives with dementia. I have a lot of experience in this area and the biggest way in which you can have a real impact is by setting up carer support groups, which say offer family carers the opportunity to get together every other week (i.e. fortnightly). This is what I do in the area in which I live in and am currently in the process of setting up a second group.

The carers that come mainly care for loved ones in their own homes but we also do have people who come where their loved ones are in a care home. This is because it is usually the case that even if a loved one is in a care home the caring responsibility is still there.
If you wish to discuss further please let me know.
Regards,
Paco

Simmy123

Nov 12, 2012
My experience

Hi there - from my personal experience I don't think things are handled well from some health professionals. My Dad has just been diagnosed with Vascular Dementia, he was undergoing tests and the way he found out about his diagnosis was when he was 'copied' in on a letter sent from the consultant to his GP! This is a big thing to be diagnosed with and not be given it in the right way (in a one to one appointment with a health professional). He has been to the neuro consultant but unfortunately has seen someone different (due to lack of staffing) every time he has been, which is not good for building a trusting relationship. There are many questions unanswered and the health professionals dont seem to understand what a massive thing it is to receive this diagnosis. My parents havent received any support whatsoever and havent been directed to groups and forums (like this one) which I'm quite surprised about. My dad was diagnosed with leukaemia last year and has a Macmillan nurse he visits regularly to check him over... she has been great and has helped him out with other things (getting an appointment) with regards to his dementia. Wouldnt it be nice if there was a group and health professionals to help people like this with dementia. Its confusing and hard work as it is to deal with it, my dad doesnt think there's anything wrong with him(!)
Hope this helps and good luck for the future
:)

Norfolkgirl

Account Closed
Jul 18, 2012
Hi there - from my personal experience I don't think things are handled well from some health professionals. My Dad has just been diagnosed with Vascular Dementia, he was undergoing tests and the way he found out about his diagnosis was when he was 'copied' in on a letter sent from the consultant to his GP! This is a big thing to be diagnosed with and not be given it in the right way (in a one to one appointment with a health professional). He has been to the neuro consultant but unfortunately has seen someone different (due to lack of staffing) every time he has been, which is not good for building a trusting relationship. There are many questions unanswered and the health professionals dont seem to understand what a massive thing it is to receive this diagnosis. My parents havent received any support whatsoever and havent been directed to groups and forums (like this one) which I'm quite surprised about. My dad was diagnosed with leukaemia last year and has a Macmillan nurse he visits regularly to check him over... she has been great and has helped him out with other things (getting an appointment) with regards to his dementia. Wouldnt it be nice if there was a group and health professionals to help people like this with dementia. Its confusing and hard work as it is to deal with it, my dad doesnt think there's anything wrong with him(!)
Hope this helps and good luck for the future
:)

Yes I agree with Simmy. Most dementia patients don't think there is anything wrong with them which makes the carer's lives a lot harder when trying to convince the health professionals of our concerns. HP also tend to do things the wrong way around by sending/contacting the dementia patient directly and giving them advice which by the very nature of their illness means that the advice is unlikely to be heeded by such dementia patients - what is the point?!

PeggySmith

Apr 16, 2012
BANES
Communication is key in my opinion. Still, I'm new to residential care and there could be other, more important, things:)