Homelift

cake4tea

Jan 22, 2014
Has anyone out there had a homelift installed by their council. We had an OT visit with a view to seeing if we could get a stair lift and adaptation to mom's bathroom and the outcome was that after physio ok, they would consider putting in a homelift and adapting mom's bathroom to allow her access to upstairs again. At the moment we are all downstairs living and she cannot do the stairs anymore.

We never for a minute considered this as an option and wonder how much disruption there is. Having Alzheimer's the council won't consider a stairlift for her.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Has anyone out there had a homelift installed by their council. We had an OT visit with a view to seeing if we could get a stair lift and adaptation to mom's bathroom and the outcome was that after physio ok, they would consider putting in a homelift and adapting mom's bathroom to allow her access to upstairs again. At the moment we are all downstairs living and she cannot do the stairs anymore.

We never for a minute considered this as an option and wonder how much disruption there is. Having Alzheimer's the council won't consider a stairlift for her.

No direct experience of these but as my husband has had experience in his previous employment, he tells me these are fitted in one day and are usually put in a corner of a room . If you try to fit along a straight wall these will require further strengthening. They're big enough for one person and apparently very much in demand. If you do internet search on personal home lift there are two large companies who are the main providers.

Amelie5a

Nov 5, 2014
Scotland
Someone I was close to was diagnosed with MND. As her mobility failed, she had a lift installed in order to access upstairs.

Once in place, it made life so much easier for her - the regret was how long it took to get the lift installed. The physical 'build' only took a couple of days, but it took several months to get through the various permissions, surveys etc.

The lift was set against one wall in the lounge - some furniture had to be moved out to allow a turning circle for the wheelchair coming in/out the lift. And a space was created in the ceiling/bedroom floor for the lift to go through to the upstairs. Again, furniture had to be moved - and new carpet was required to fit around the space created in the bedroom floor.

Thinking of someone with dementia using a home lift, I'm assuming your mum would always have someone with her in the lift? The stop/start controls are part of the lift, but also can be operated from a remote.

I'd also advise that you make sure what the back-up is in the event of a technical problem or even a power cut.