Home Monitoring Technology

Danceswithwolves

Oct 1, 2023
Hi there, thank you for the forum. I'm asking here with regard to my father. He lives "on his own" but now has a carer coming in 3 times a day. I'm looking for recommendations for home monitoring systems. Probably with an eye towards 24 hour live in care as well: he has taken a downturn in the last 24-48 hours so things are moving fast and still a bit uncertain.

He lives in the country. There is very poor mobile signal but good wifi connection.

What I'm looking for:
- a pressure sensor mat to go by the bed with alarm. This is probably going to be critical if we move to live in care. I think I have that one covered (Mat On Guard looks ok).
- Motion cameras to cover 3 doors. I don't think door alarms are the right solution as a tendency to leave one of the doors open during the day anyway (remember he is rural). I was hoping for maybe combined alarm system and app monitoring as well which multiple people can access (this bit is perhaps less important if we get to full live in care).
- Camera facing bed with receiver (the receiver to go where the carer would be sleeping).

I was hoping as much as possible to have a system which worked together with remote monitoring by app (2 sons plus carer), but the pressure mat is probably less necessary for that aspect.

Thanks for any help.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome to the forum @Danceswithwolves

I have no experience of the technology you are asking about but just want to welcome you.

There are quite a few tech savvy members on the forum and I do hope they will come to your aid.

Last edited by a moderator:

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Morning Danceswithwolves

If ur Dad has taken a sudden downturn I would recommend getting him checked out for an infection as these can often be the cause - the downturn can then be stabilised somewhat.

I have some technology here. We use the Clan app and their cameras. They are on all the time and I can access on my phone. I receive an alert on my phone if motion so I can check all ok. Mum is less mobile now but invaluable to know she is ok.

I don’t have a pressure mat but use a fall detector alert instead. It’s brilliant. There is a sensor by her bed and I have a ringer by mine, As soon as her legs go over it sends a ring to me so I can wake and help her. It was around £80. Thoroughly recommend.

I know other members have door alerts specifically- but the cameras I use could be positioned by doors if u had sockets near by.

Hope that helps!

Ellie2018

Jun 26, 2023
My OH wanders so I have a ring doorbell which alerts when he goes up the drive and when he comes back in. This lets me track that he is back as he should be. If he isn’t back in his usual 15 minutes, I can track his Apple Watch and if he’s not where he should be, I can ring him. It even helps when I’m at home as he goes out without telling me. I found tracker technology completely unsuitable even when it said it was for this purpose

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
We hvea very simple camera for M in law. She doesnt have dementiabut is elderley frail.

Neos smart home.
was very inexpensive. We only have one camera, but think you an link as many as you like. WiFi based. I can check the camera from my phone. Aim one at each door?

You can set them to detect motion, as well as straight 'observe' mode ( from your phone)
just be a bit careful with camera's & his dignity! M in L in the buff at 96 isnt something I enjoy seeing ( pretty much log straight out again) She does consent to the camera though.

Clarity is good enough that if I zoom in, I can see if her tea has been drunk etc

A pressure mat by the bed is not much use until there is someone there to respond to it

Danceswithwolves

Oct 1, 2023
Morning Danceswithwolves

If ur Dad has taken a sudden downturn I would recommend getting him checked out for an infection as these can often be the cause - the downturn can then be stabilised somewhat.

I have some technology here. We use the Clan app and their cameras. They are on all the time and I can access on my phone. I receive an alert on my phone if motion so I can check all ok. Mum is less mobile now but invaluable to know she is ok.

I don’t have a pressure mat but use a fall detector alert instead. It’s brilliant. There is a sensor by her bed and I have a ringer by mine, As soon as her legs go over it sends a ring to me so I can wake and help her. It was around £80. Thoroughly recommend.

I know other members have door alerts specifically- but the cameras I use could be positioned by doors if u had sockets near by.

Hope that helps!
Thanks. Yes, he is currently in hospital (yesterday) and has been confirmed that he's had another stroke. Being thoroughly checked over.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited by a moderator:

Danceswithwolves

Oct 1, 2023
We hvea very simple camera for M in law. She doesnt have dementiabut is elderley frail.

Neos smart home.
was very inexpensive. We only have one camera, but think you an link as many as you like. WiFi based. I can check the camera from my phone. Aim one at each door?

You can set them to detect motion, as well as straight 'observe' mode ( from your phone)
just be a bit careful with camera's & his dignity! M in L in the buff at 96 isnt something I enjoy seeing ( pretty much log straight out again) She does consent to the camera though.

Clarity is good enough that if I zoom in, I can see if her tea has been drunk etc

A pressure mat by the bed is not much use until there is someone there to respond to it
Thanks for this. Understood that the pressure mat is for when we have 24 on site care.

surfer

Oct 8, 2023
Hello everyone. My mum has recently been given a careline bracelet that detects falls and its gone off 7 times in the first month without her falling over.eg when she's cleaning her teeth, shaking the front door to check its closed etc. The first person who is contacted is her next door neighbour. He's been a godsend to mum and me, but this must be testing his patience. I want to get a camera system that I can monitor remotely via WiFi (I live 75 miles away) to see if she has fallen. Does anyone have any recommendations please? Arlo and Blink have been mentioned. Thanks.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
We used the clan app whilst mum was at home. I found it generally very reliable. very reassuring for me and before mum became less mobile I could work out when and why she was unsettled through checking it.

faengelm

Hi there, thank you for the forum. I'm asking here with regard to my father. He lives "on his own" but now has a carer coming in 3 times a day. I'm looking for recommendations for home monitoring systems. Probably with an eye towards 24 hour live in care as well: he has taken a downturn in the last 24-48 hours so things are moving fast and still a bit uncertain.

He lives in the country. There is very poor mobile signal but good wifi connection.

What I'm looking for:
- a pressure sensor mat to go by the bed with alarm. This is probably going to be critical if we move to live in care. I think I have that one covered (Mat On Guard looks ok).
- Motion cameras to cover 3 doors. I don't think door alarms are the right solution as a tendency to leave one of the doors open during the day anyway (remember he is rural). I was hoping for maybe combined alarm system and app monitoring as well which multiple people can access (this bit is perhaps less important if we get to full live in care).
- Camera facing bed with receiver (the receiver to go where the carer would be sleeping).

I was hoping as much as possible to have a system which worked together with remote monitoring by app (2 sons plus carer), but the pressure mat is probably less necessary for that aspect.

Thanks for any help.
If you would like something that in addition to alerting you of wandering, would encourage him to go back to bed: https://frankseasytechcorner.substack.com/p/using-visual-and-verbal-guidance

surfer

Oct 8, 2023
We used the clan app whilst mum was at home. I found it generally very reliable. very reassuring for me and before mum became less mobile I could work out when and why she was unsettled through checking it.
Thank you. Not heard of this one. I'll investigate.

surfer

Oct 8, 2023
An update. I got 4 cameras from Currys: EZVIZ HP6. Currently on offer at £21.11 each.They work off 2.4GHz WiFi signal, not 5 which was a problem at my home Virgin but not my mum's Plusnet. It is supposed to be possible to run them off dual signal WiFi routers.

Fairly easy to set up with an app on phone, pan/tilt, audio and talk functions available. Came in useful on day 3.

7 day storage of video costs £2.99/ month.

(@sdmhred Clan wouldn't work on my phone - its for Apple. Thanks anyway)

surfer

Oct 8, 2023
An update. I got 4 cameras from Currys: EZVIZ HP6. Currently on offer at £21.11 each.They work off 2.4GHz WiFi signal, not 5 which was a problem at my home Virgin but not my mum's Plusnet. It is supposed to be possible to run them off dual signal WiFi routers.

Fairly easy to set up with an app on phone, pan/tilt, audio and talk functions available. Came in useful on day 3.

7 day storage of video costs £2.99/ month.

(@sdmhred Clan wouldn't work on my phone - its for Apple. Thanks anyway)
Edit. The £2.99 / month subscription for cloud storage of videos is per camera.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helen676