Home, Clean Home

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
"and i even found them buttered in the morning"...,

Buttered teabags sound good to me. Cut out the carbohydrates in one go. My mum had a thing about tissues. I used to find them crumpled up all over her room, behind the bed, under the bed, in the bed, beside the bed.
Found my mum's teeth in a jug of milk one day. She must have been thinking about those days when she used to bathe in it.

"We gave up looking, because we always find things when we do stop looking?"
Almost every time , Gill:D

"What would be great, is if my not so wonderful brother, asked for money and they gave him it in teabags".
...or wrote him a cheque on a tea leaf, Alfjess?

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi All

Tissues and toilet roll is another trial, I find it everywhere, in drawers, in handbags, in pockets, in cupboards, under cushions, under the mattress under bed pillows, PILES OF IT, everywhere.

But tissues or toilet paper are easier cleaned, than then ripped opened teabags, in drawers, floor etc.

I wish I knew what was going on in their mind, with the teabags, toilet roll and tissues and obviously everything else as well!! It is so furstrating when I can't work it out.

Alfjess

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Oh.....I'm definitely with the toilet roll and tissues! Whenever I put a new toilet roll in the bathroom it would disappear.....I am convinced now mum wrapped her teeth up and flushed them down the loo.
Mum was also bad for putting things in her knickers.......toast,sandwiches,keys,photos , chips, the dog lead!!....One day I was searching high and low for me car and house keys.....it wasn't til mum stood up and started jangling that i knew where they were!!!
The knickers seemed to replace the handbag as a hiding place......

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi everyone

This thread is WONDERFUL!

It's so great that we can share the funny things that happen. There are so many sad and traumatic moments in our lives, finding things to laugh at is great.

I haven't had to deal with any of thee problems yet, but I'm sure that if and when they happen I'll find them so much easier to deal with, thanks to you all.

So thank you for the giggle, but also for the insight you have given me.

Love to you all,

Gill W

Jan 31, 2007
Co. Durham
Toilet Rolls! Yes, we're there too!

Not so much the WHOLE toilet roll as that last little bit you get at the end that is always stuck with twice as much glue? Gran has a habit of sitting for ages, trying to peel that piece off whole, she has a whole pile of them on the table next to her chair, bless her. Funny, I often do a similar thing with Creme Egg wrappers :p

We've discovered the polystyrene pots that her gravy for her meal arrives in, all neatly lined up at the back of the cupboard, and guess what's in them!!?? LOOSE TEA!! :confused:

What I wouldn't give to be in her head and where she is when she does these things, but at least I can make mum laugh when I go on a treasure hunt!!

Gill
XX

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Hi Gill
I'd have really liked to understand more too
I put the toilet rolls down to perhaps a shortage in the war? But then ...so many others have the same problem...and all of varying ages...
I can even understand the storing of food in the handbag when we went out for a meal to a certain extent.....either to give to the "pussies" or to "eat later".
I do also remember feeling quite shocked by these actions....but towards the end I came to accept it as quite normal:eek:

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
mel said:
I'd have really liked to understand more too
I put the toilet rolls down to perhaps a shortage in the war? :
That might well be an astute guess, Wendy. I think that our parent's generation were far thriftier than we are. 'Make do and mend' being a wartime slogan, I believe.
I can actually remember when tissues started to be used widely in the fifties. We had a neighbour who handed me one when my mum and I went round for coffee one day. I remember thinking quite clearly what an amazing innovation they were: so soft and hygienic. ( Or maybe she was better off than we were and they had been around for ages, but I think not.) She also introduced our family to tuna fish, which we never ever ate. I saw her as very ahead of the times! And she had a beautiful bright brick red carpet: another point in her favour.
My mum, when given a tissue now or a napkin, will try to separate the layers of it so that it goes further! Always trying to make ends meet for us.

"I do also remember feeling quite shocked by these actions....but towards the end I came to accept it as quite normal"

Quite endearing, in a funny way, and admirable too. Hugs, Deborah

zonkjonk

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Hi all, my mum too had (and possibly still has) huge issues with tissues,toilet paper and tea...maybe we are onto something here :)
not sure now as she was placed into a NH on 15th January
tissues everywhere, and hankies everwhere, she had a chronic running nose
she became unable to deal with toilet paper, stopped flushing and got dreadfully upset if the roll was less than half full, probably not understanding that what was left was sufficient, resulting in me running up and downstairs in the house at 2.00 am replacing half used toilet rolls with new ones. (big sigh)
on her own at home she was going through 1 roll of toilet paper per day
just before placement she not only had difficulty with the toilet paper but also difficulties with pulling her pants up after toileting.
such a struggle for her just to go to the toilet. I speculate that this is the beginnings of becoming incontinent as her brain is less capable of coping with the challenges of toileting.
warm regards
Jo

Clive

Nov 7, 2004
This is a very enjoyable thread.

I think someone should get lottery funding for doing some research on teabags and toilet rolls…

Mum insisted on having a full toilet roll in every single room in her house “just in case it was needed”. .. I never dared to ask what she thought it would be needed for!.

And mums tea caddy and biscuit tin became interchangeable.
When the tea would not pour out of the pot you knew the tea had been made with chocolate biscuits, which was always a bit of an embarrassment for mum as she could never work out what had gone wrong. The plate of teabags she offered in place of biscuits was always easier to handle as mum could easily be distracted and a fresh plate could be substituted.

Carolann

Apr 19, 2006
Nottinghamshire
Hi,
When my Mum was in the Nusing Home I used to clean her handbag out every 2 or 3 days - I just could not believe the amount of things that accumulated in such a short period of time. There would be numerous napkinks, cutlery, melted chocolates, broken biscuits.
I can remember going to visit her one day and looking at her and knowing something was different but I could'nt tell what it was for a while - she was wearing someone else's glasses - 3 or 4 ofthe residents had been swapping glasses - I can tell you it took quite a while to sort out!
I suppose you have heard the story that if you see a bowl of Brazil Nuts in a Care/Nursing Home you never take one as they have most likely been Chocolate Brazil nuts and had the chocolate licked off.
Hope you don't think I am being flippant, it's just that we do have to laugh sometimes!
Take Care
Carolann

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
What I hate is going to the toilet and the person before has not replace it with a new roll , so when I shout out I need paper and someone tell me they is none , I just say look under Nanny bed , yes because she hide them under there in case , I suppose we run out as she says its my daughter that keep using them

I do that anyway, and I'm ok
cris

Now cris bad habit die hard :eek: , we use to do that in our home when I use to live wuth mum , dad :)

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
I am still using my mother's toilet paper hoard, and the lotions and potions people gave her. The soap supply will probably last a few years.

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Apropos nothing in particular

Lila13 said:
I am still using my mother's toilet paper hoard, and the lotions and potions people gave her. The soap supply will probably last a few years.

One of my siblings used to give people vast supplies of toilet paper as Christmas or birthday presents. Humungous great carloads! We had to stash it in the attic because there was no room anywhere else for it. It was quite a good present actually and was certainly never taken back to the shop as 'not wanted'!