Home care costs

LisaV

Feb 22, 2020
Hello,
we have had to organise 24h home care for my dad at short notice. The care providers have been very good, and have provided care at a set rate with a contract that we have signed.
Now they tell us that their live-in carers need 2 hours respite per day, and that we have to pay 2 hours at an hourly rate on top of the original contract fee in order to cover for this 2 hours respite for the live in carer.
Is this normal? What's the usual arrangement for this type of situation?
Thanks

maisiecat

Oct 12, 2023
Hi@LisaV, my neighbour had a live-in carer and this is pretty normal. He had the same carer for a long time and she often didn't require the cover each day as he was bed bound and slept most of the day.
She also had to be covered for a weeks break but I don't know how often. I think they are only meant to have to attend the person once or twice a night.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
That sounds about right and bank holidays usually incurs an extra cost too.

LisaV

Feb 22, 2020
Thanks all that's helpful. I am concerned the care company might not be treating their carers well, so I think it's important for them to have a break - but the costs are ramping up, I wonder how much the care company makes out of all this??

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
One of mums carers left the agency. She kept caring for my mum. She asked us to pay her what she received from the agency. It was about half of what we paid the agency
But
Don’t forget that the agency has costs such as insurance, staff training and will take responsibility for the quality of care provided. Mum is delighted with the new arrangement , however every time the directly paid carers are unable to attend , for any of a series of legitimate reasons, I am back to provide all care, like in the early days. The agency would send a substitute carer.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Annieislaurie