Holiday insurance

Tillybuc01

Mar 14, 2018
Greater Manchester
Has any body had any experience of cancelling holidays? My OH had an emergency operation on Jan 20th to remove a tumour most of his colon He now has an ileostomy and what appears to be the onset of dementia. His time in hospital was horrific and the day before he came home OT’s were talking about long term care. Now he has settled at home he is much better but has a poor short term memory and can’t cope with his ileostomy. Fortunately he does not have to endure any chemo.

We have two holidays booked, Canada in August and a carribean cruies in December. Three weeks ago I was simply going to cancel the holidays but now I think that, although these flights are too long to cope with, we could manage a cruise/holiday in Europe. Having read numerous posts I think it is important we have as many holidays now while we can.

Our insurance is through our bank and I wondered if anyone had the experience of cancelling a holiday and then booking one nearer home.
1) Did the insurance company cover the cost of the deposits and then insure them for a new holiday or would it be better to cancel the holiday, claim the deposit back and then insure through a different company?
2) Can anyone recommend an insurance company who has been reasonable for people with possible dementia, an operation for cancer and an ileostomy?
3) has anyone cruised with any of the conditions I have outlined?

I know I can ring the insurance company but I wanted to be as well informed as possible before I spoke to them.
Thank you if you have read this post so far and if you have any advice to offer an even bigger thank you.
I hope you all have as restful and peaceful Easter as possible. Take care of yourselves.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I think you will find that failing to inform the insurers of any change in medical condition will invalidate the policy. The company can ask for an additional premium, if they want to refuse further cover this will be exceptionally high.

If you made the bookings before the change in condition you will still be insured for any loss, as the amount recoverable may decrease as the holiday approaches the insurers expect to be informed as soon as possible.

Have a read through the small print.

To see other members experiences and recommendations of insurers read through
https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/search/771447/?q=holiday+insurance&o=date&c[node]=69

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I am insured through a bank, and I have informed them. as required, of medical conditions, including my mum's dementia. I am not covered should I have to cancel or cut a holiday short due to mum's dementia. This hasn't bothered me as at the moment we go to France in our campervan, and if I had to come home I would grab a flight leaving family there, and flight would likely be similar to level of excess.

If I booked a more expensive holiday again I would look at different insurance.

I know when neighbours had to cancel a holiday when mother/grandmother died of cancer they weren't covered as it was a pre existing condition.

So as far as claiming for cancelling existing holidays it will depend on what the pre existing condition was at time of booking as to whether you are covered I would expect.

Peachez

Jun 19, 2016
South East England
We called our travel company first, they let us move our deposit from a long haul last Oct to a European rail tour this May, we had to pay an admin fee, but got an early booking discount on the second holiday, so effectively they gave us £200 for moving the holiday! Wondering if it's worth you phoning the travel company in the first instance?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Travel company arrangements and costs are nothing to do with insurance cover on any particular holiday.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
My brother in law put us onto 'Get Going' travel insurance.
They seem very good at insuring pre existing conditions without the premium being eye watering.

They insure my sister , 8 months post stroke, diabetic with a heart condition. She was wheelchair bound by that point

Tillybuc01

Mar 14, 2018
Greater Manchester
Thanks for all your comments I will try Get Going travel insurance- thanks Jessbow- and I have also been recommended NFPO insurance- I will ring all these on Tuesday and compare the quotes. Thanks Peachez for the info regarding the travel company- I was wondering if it was first worth contacting them and seeing if they would swap- it gives me hope that they might. I tried to ring today but being Easter Sunday there was nobody there who could answer the question. Another job for Tuesday.

I can’t believe that I am actually considering a holiday- 4 weeks ago I thought there was no chance.

Hope you are having a good Easter

Last edited:

Emac

Mar 2, 2013
Has any body had any experience of cancelling holidays? My OH had an emergency operation on Jan 20th to remove a tumour most of his colon He now has an ileostomy and what appears to be the onset of dementia. His time in hospital was horrific and the day before he came home OT’s were talking about long term care. Now he has settled at home he is much better but has a poor short term memory and can’t cope with his ileostomy. Fortunately he does not have to endure any chemo.

We have two holidays booked, Canada in August and a carribean cruies in December. Three weeks ago I was simply going to cancel the holidays but now I think that, although these flights are too long to cope with, we could manage a cruise/holiday in Europe. Having read numerous posts I think it is important we have as many holidays now while we can.

Our insurance is through our bank and I wondered if anyone had the experience of cancelling a holiday and then booking one nearer home.
1) Did the insurance company cover the cost of the deposits and then insure them for a new holiday or would it be better to cancel the holiday, claim the deposit back and then insure through a different company?
2) Can anyone recommend an insurance company who has been reasonable for people with possible dementia, an operation for cancer and an ileostomy?

I know I can ring the insurance company but I wanted to be as well informed as possible before I spoke to them.
Thank you if you have read this post so far and if you have any advice to offer an even bigger thank you.
I hope you all have as restful and peaceful Easter as possible. Take care of yourselves.
Also suggest Makesure for pre existing conditions. you can apply online or by phone.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West

Calibri (Body)

Dementia is not a problem I have dementia and over the years used several Insurance companies there was never a problem or extra charge for my dementia. however in more recent years and now I have other ailment’s to disclose I found Getgoing Insurer’s to be best for me I always insure a single trip for a “couple” two weeks Mediterranean cruise £138 for me & wife I only take out the standard policy in case of sickness / medical needs I’m not particularly bothered about cancellations ect if we can’t go because it’s a standard policy it would only cover 50% of our cruise cost,

Last edited:

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
I have holiday insurance with Insure and Go with whom I have an annual policy for us both of us. We are going on holiday in May and I have checked with them today since my husband’s diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease in March and there is no additional charge for that condition. They insure for pre-existing conditions up to the age of 90 I think it is. Ironically I am the costly one because I have heart disease but that is covered, at an additional premium.