Holding head in her hands

CAL28

Aug 25, 2014
Dorset
Hi my mum often sits leaning forward holding her head in her hands. When asked if she is okay or has a pain she snaps back that's she is fine. Mum has Alzheimer's which is getting worse. Has anyone else come across this? If so what did you do if anything.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Is it possible that she has a headache or eye pain and just can't articulate it? It could be anything really including repetitive behaviour but if it is possible pain would she take some paracetamol if you just slipped them to her? There is a lot of info on here about low level pain and how paracetamol is worth a try to help agitation, pacing or 'odd' behaviours - it might not work and it might not be that but it might be worth a try.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
I think fizzie's suggestions are good ones.

In my mum's case, she often sits as you describe. I have found two main causes: pain such as headache or backache, which might be caused by kidney trouble, or even by poor posture; and just not feeling at ease in her chair. This is sometimes improved by putting a pillow behind her and 'propping her up'. A footstool might also be helpful, but only when someone is with her, as it's so easy to trip over these!

As fizzie says, it could be a whole range of things.

Good luck, I hope you find something that helps :)

Lindy xx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smattels