Hiya has anybody else been aware of all 3 siblings having vascular dementia ? Is this rare?

Cal.d

Oct 31, 2019
Hi all, has anybody heard of all 3 siblings from a family being diagnosed with vascular dementia? Is this rare?
Could this be hereditary?

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
My Mums parents both had dementia. My Dads sister had dementia

At Mums diagnosis the consultant spoke to me while my Mum was out of the room & talked about how some forms of dementia are passed on genetically.

thank goodness I’m adopted!

I think the genetic markers for Dementia are a relatively new area still being explored; but a lot of research into this area is providing the information for people today to make good informed choices about a healthy lifestyle & keeping socially interactive.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
With vascular may it be more other forms of health problems that cause the probability of dementia occurring in several members of one family. I have a friend and both her sister and brother along with her have the same heart problems and the other heart related conditions. I know she worry’s about vascular dementia being a probability for them.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
At the moment science is moving too quickly for any of us to keep abreast with. My daughter is studying genetic counselling & my own background means I am fascinated by the various forms of dementia & it’s causes.

Delineation of the Mylin sheath that covers the nerves in the brain can be caused by many things. Vascular problems being one of them.

I think that scientific investigations are leaping forward in discoveries & it’s impossible to keep up with the progress of knowledge & understanding of daily discoveries. Around the world scientists etc are exploring all options & hopefully soon we the public will have that information.

I do know that Genetic counselling is becoming a service that in future years will be a well known service. We are at the early stages of understanding all the variants of dementia & the part genetics play.

Personally I think you can be predisposed genetically but life choices have a large part to play in keeping yourself healthy. I’m not going to worry about what if... I’m just aware & trying to have a life while sorting out my PWD care.

It wasn’t so long ago that the first man walked in the moon. Who knows what’s possible?

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
My mum is currently awaiting a diagnosis so not sure what sort she has. She has two brothers, one who has been diagnosed with dementia, again I don't know which type as mum can't remember what his wife said when she told her a few years ago and she only sees them about once a year, her other brother has parkinsons disease.
I don't know if genes play a part, it could just be coincidence in mums family, their mum died in her 50s so don't know if she would have got any type of dementia, but is something that worries me a bit.

Mandy76

Jul 25, 2019
My mother is one of six siblings and four of them have dementia. My mother has Dementia with Lewy Bodies, her sister has Alzheimers, a brother has Vascular Dementia, and another brother died with dementia (not sure what type, he developed it after a severe blow to the head).

The other two siblings - one currently has a brain tumour and the other passed aged 62 from alcoholism - he could have developed dementia too if he had lived longer, who knows.

Her parents never had anything like that, although her mother passed aged 65 from heart problems but her dad lived to be in his 80s and he was fine.

No-one on my dad's side has had dementia, so I hope I take after that side rather than my mother's!

Fullticket

Apr 19, 2016
Chard, Somerset
Mum had two siblings, both had a form of dementia and both exhibited the same symptoms as mum did (mum was diagnosed with mixed vascular and Alzheimer's). Their mother died at about 35 years of age with heart problems and my niece was struck down with a heart attack at the age of 17 (thankfully survived and is well now). It was only after the heart attack that it was discovered that the valves to my niece's heart were 'plumbed in' wrongly (would take too long to explain here) and she was operated on. Did mum and her siblings suffer the same sort of thing and was this perhaps reduced blood to the brain the cause of dementia? Then how come mum's stepmother also suffered exactly the same sort of dementia? Was this due to the ill effects of having to live with an electricity pylon in the back garden in the 1940s (not being flippant, it has occurred to me!). Was it the rare blood group mum and her siblings shared?

The fate of the older members of our family will at least be available and considered by the younger members, so some sort of mapping can be attempted. My grandmother's death in the late 1920s came at a time when all that was known about her health was that she had an enlarged heart and so heart failure was written on the death certificate. Nowadays we can be so much better informed.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
My OH's mum had Alzheimer's and died at the age of 72. His two siblings both younger than he, often talk about how bad their memories are, making lists to remind them to do things, not remembering people they meet in the street, forgetting recent events etc. neither of them have been assessed yet but it sounds like the three of them are going to have some form of dementia.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
My mum was one of three siblings and they all had dementia. Their mum lived to be 94 and didn’t but their dad died at 60 of a heart attack so we don’t know if he would’ve been ok.

My dad was one of 6 siblings and he is the only one who had dementia out of all of them but he lived to be 90 and his brothers all died in their 70s and 80s. His dad had Parkinson’s and died in his late 70s his mum didn’t have dementia and she lived til her mid 80s.

I do worry that it may be hereditary ... or maybe we were just unlucky - I didn’t know anyone with dementia until it hit my mum and her siblings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolinejohnson16@btinter