Hints for broken nights

LewyDementiaCarer

Mar 5, 2024
We found establishing a solid day-time to bed-time routine helps in the mid stages.
Daytime routines mean keeping everything on a reasonable schedule from waking up, letting in some sunshine or turning the lights up, cleaning to freshen up in the morning & eating, cups of tea +entertainment etc to keep the PWD awake & focusing, if possible during the daylight hours... Bedtime routine is the opposite: all about slowing down, getting quiet (we even talk more softly in the half hour before bed) dimming lights, warming the room, relaxing by rubbing in moisturizer etc, using a colored nightlight and saying goodnight etc.
Failing that, you could speak to the Dr if they continually act out dreams and have disturbed sleep patterns (which is common) they may be able to prescribe some medication to help sleep better.

If you're not using one already, a baby monitor can help you keep an eye on them without having to continually worry what is going on throughout the night.

Chris100

Nov 19, 2021
We found establishing a solid day-time to bed-time routine helps in the mid stages.
Daytime routines mean keeping everything on a reasonable schedule from waking up, letting in some sunshine or turning the lights up, cleaning to freshen up in the morning & eating, cups of tea +entertainment etc to keep the PWD awake & focusing, if possible during the daylight hours... Bedtime routine is the opposite: all about slowing down, getting quiet (we even talk more softly in the half hour before bed) dimming lights, warming the room, relaxing by rubbing in moisturizer etc, using a colored nightlight and saying goodnight etc.
Failing that, you could speak to the Dr if they continually act out dreams and have disturbed sleep patterns (which is common) they may be able to prescribe some medication to help sleep better.

If you're not using one already, a baby monitor can help you keep an eye on them without having to continually worry what is going on throughout the night.
Thank you

Buntie123

Jan 2, 2023
Wirral
Same routine here. My husband has a ritual routine at bedtime round about 10.00. If I can get away with it x I’ll get up and spend an hour on my own to knit of catch up x

Jools1402

Jan 13, 2024
You have had good advice. I would also add don't let them sleep too much in the daytime either. One or two short naps fine - long sleep not. My FIL let my MIL (AZ) sleep half the day because he was so tired and then she was up (and so was he!) half the night. Vicious circle. Once she went into a care home where a proper routine was followed and she was stimulated in the day she started sleeping much better at night.