Hints and Tips

Kath610

Apr 6, 2022
Maldon, Essex
This is very helpful to me in planning my future

Clinical Stages of Alzheimer’s

There are 7 clinical stages of Alzheimer's Disease. What to expect from the initial stages to the end stage of Alzheimer's.

This is really useful - especially as I am about to fill in the Attendance Allowance forms. It shows that my husband is firmly in Section 5 and heading for 6a. Not nice to read but maps out what’s in store without set timelines.

Pejic

Jul 2, 2022
as a result of reading about some of the difficulties caused when we finally pop our clogs:

Wills can be lodged with the probate service, to avoid the problem of not being able to find the will, which has the added advantage that nobody can interfere with the will.

You might also consider having joint accounts (except for premium bonds of course) in different banks with full (unofficial) access for both of to all of them, so when one goes the procedure is to cash all the deceased one's premium bonds and transfer all the money into the survivor's bank account before telling the bank or or NS&I about what's happened.

Pork Pie Lady: I find the same thing with my books - after a year I can read them again confident that they are good books that I will enjoy reading. I have about a 1,000 and read two or three a week. I have annotated them to cover any tricky twists in the plot and with the ones that pop all over the place in time mark them with arrows so I can read them in chronological order (or in some cases as two or three different books!) in anticipation of not being able to read them myself in the future, as a guide to other people how to read them to me.

Last edited:

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
My husband says that one of the good things is he can watch his favourite films over and over again and most of the time he can enjoy them as much as the first time because he remembers so little.
As with my LO and her favourite TV series which are watch every time they are on but so frustrating for me when it has been on for 5 days and is then shown again in entirety at the weekend

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
After a few more mis steps today: and further confused by our American friends' usage I'm going to try to stop using the 2/9/22 date layout in favour of using the month name (or at least its abbreviation)

That is something I have learned from trying to book travel. It is much less open to doubt using eg 5 Sep or Sep 5 than relying on the order of a string of digits. A good tip for general use and can work for some months in other languages than English.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Leaving visual cues can help one remember that something started a while ago may need attention. When doing a clothes wash, for example, I place the bottle of washing liquid on the benchtop to remind me to check if the programme is finished. Otherwise, if I am out or do not hear the signal - and possibly distracted by something else - I may forget to take out the load when it is done.

Pejic

Jul 2, 2022
Although there is no overall benefit of this rotten disease I have noticed some things on the positive side, how about you?
(a) Loss of inhibition some physiological, but some psychological as well has allowed me to be more assertive about how I'm treated
(b) I have noticed that my sentimental attachment to acquired and gifted 'rubbish' is fading away, allowing me to declutter (and raise a few bob!)
(c) Motivation to face up to, and document future and end of life wishes.
(d) whereas I used to brood on slights and insults and inefficiencies I now find I very quickly forget about them (unless I'm reminded)

Last edited:

Pejic

Jul 2, 2022
If you are troubled by nightmares, try looking up "Lucid Dreaming" as a possible solution - this is a technique for giving you more control over what you are dreaming about.

If you are using a Windows PC or laptop, simply press and hold the Widows key then press "H" to open the dictation dialogue box.

This will allow you to enter text into any field you click on just by speaking.

No more tedious one-finger typing.

Go. Have a go. It's so easy to use.

Tricot

Jun 20, 2017
France
If you are using a Windows PC or laptop, simply press and hold the Widows key then press "H" to open the dictation dialogue box.

Bah c'est Perry help full. Inquiet. Fast high-tech change de paramètres. Bah vas-y sait. Laisser comme.

Tricot

Jun 20, 2017
France

Oh dear! I was keen to give it a try. First I had to change my parameters which was easy. But the post above shows my result! Now I realise it's expecting me to speak French (I'm in France and write a lot in French.)
Do you know where on the computer I can change it so it understands I'm speaking English? This facility could be a great help.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Do you know where on the computer I can change it so it understands I'm speaking English? This facility could be a great help.
Try
W11
Open textbox
Winkey + H
? in pop up
Install and switch to English

W10
Bit more involved

Last edited:

Tricot

Jun 20, 2017
France
Try
W11
Open textbox
Winkey + H
? in pop up
Install and switch to English

W10
Bit more involved
Thank you, nitram. I should have said I have Windows 10. I did find a way to change the language but the result wasn't very successful. I'll stick to typing for the time being but it was worth a try.

Pejic

Jul 2, 2022
(d) whereas I used to brood on slights and insults and inefficiencies I now find I very quickly forget about them (unless I'm reminded)
(e) elimination of any anxiety or guilt about things not started or completed

Pejic

Jul 2, 2022
(e) elimination of any anxiety or guilt about things not started or completed
(f) reduced period of grief and mourning for loss of pets (old age) and relatives (covid), I recall having been distressed, but do feel it anymore.

Pejic

Jul 2, 2022

I have elaborated more on some of the ways I cope in my thread​

"I have been diagnosed with dementia but . . .", please take anything that helps, and contribute your own insights.​

Pejic

Jul 2, 2022
(f) reduced period of grief and mourning for loss of pets (old age) and relatives (covid), I recall having been distressed, but do feel it anymore.
That should say "do not feel it anymore"

Pejic

Jul 2, 2022
If the birds don't sing anymore when you are out in the sun, get your ears tested! Deafness creeps up just as unnoticably as the damned dementia!

Pejic

Jul 2, 2022
If you have trouble finding or opening your word files: make a spreadsheet, and list your word files with hyperlinks. You can index and sort them by keyword and open them with a single click. Leave a short cut on your desk top and leave the spreadsheet open all day.

alan_rans

Dec 25, 2023
I have found this site which offers carers and caregivers tips for care for a person with dementia
dementia care support guide .com

Sherma77

Jul 20, 2021
Ohio
I now find that I can only drink from a cup/glass that has a thin rim. Otherwise I can only take one swallow at a time & sometimes hold it in my mouth until I remember to swallow!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfly