Hi

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @Poddie

I`m sorry to hear about your dad. How are you coping with this?

Please know you will get support and advice here from others and it is a safe place to off load.

Poddie

Apr 17, 2024
Welcome @Poddie

I`m sorry to hear about your dad. How are you coping with this?

Please know you will get support and advice here from others and it is a safe place to off load.
Thank you its been quite hard for my mum caring for my dad he seems to be getting bad he cant get his words out losing his temper not sleeping properly been getting up early hours trying all the bedroom doors he trashed the spare room where he got confused after going to the toilet and has been bed wetting and last night he had moved his bedroom around because someone had asked him to ? So i have come on here to try and get some advise and help

tonebear

Jun 7, 2023
dorset
Hello im here because my dad has dementia
Congrats you've found a good place, cos on here everyone has had to go through the things you will have to face, so help is here. Make no mistake it's one hell of a journey. Laugh at the things that happen and don't dwell on the bad stuff( cos there'll be a lot) Good luck with the learning curve, it's very steep but worth the effort.

tonebear

Jun 7, 2023
dorset
Congrats you've found a good place, cos on here everyone has had to go through the things you will have to face, so help is here. Make no mistake it's one hell of a journey. Laugh at the things that happen and don't dwell on the bad stuff( cos there'll be a lot) Good luck with the learning curve, it's very steep but worth the effort.
Just try reading that it will give you an idea of the stupid and ridiculous things that can happen It's was headed " peeing in a yogurt pot"

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Hello @Poddie . I hope you'll get useful advice.
Have you got Kylie bed mats for the bed? They are brilliant for protecting the mattress and are easy to wash and dry.. I have a full bed waterproof mattress protector but use the Kylie over the sheet and very rarely have to change the sheet as well.
Also has your dad been referred to the incontinence team? Ask your GP or memory clinic nurse for a referral. NHS can provide free incontinence products and give advice. In the meantime I found Aldi pull ups very good. Get the tightest fit for best protection.
Also alarm mats might be worth considering. It would alert your mum that dad is getting out of bed. I know it wakes her but it could limit any ' damage' your dad does and make things easier in terms of clearing up.
It's a tough journey, but take each day as it comes with just a little forward planning.

Last edited:

Poddie

Apr 17, 2024
Hello @Poddie . I hope you'll get useful advice.
Have you got Kylie bed mats for the bed? They are brilliant for protecting the mattress and are easy to wash and dry.. I have a full bed waterproof mattress protector but use the Kylie over the sheet and very rarely have to change the sheet as well.
Also has your dad been referred to the incontinence team? Ask your GP or memory clinic nurse for a referral. NHS can provide free incontinence products and give advice. In the meantime I found Aldi pull ups very good. Get the tightest fit for best protection.
Also alarm mats might be worth considering. It would alert your mum that dad is getting out of bed. I know it wakes her but it could limit any ' damage' your dad does and make things easier in terms of clearing up.
It's a tough journey, but take each day as it comes with just a little forward planning.
Thank you maggie yes we have the bed mats and I will get my mum to chase up with the GP about it as well that also sounds like a good idea with an alarm mat