Hi ..here because. Mums gone & I've got nowhere to go

Ksaray

May 12, 2019
I miss you Mum ..10yrs of Alzheimer's finally took its toll.

I love you & miss you

Your loving Daughter K

Time ..after time

It's how it was for many years .. I will always love you x x

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Sorry for your loss @Ksaray

My dad died just before Christmas. I thought I was coping well but it's really hit me this week that he won't be there for me anymore... Time after time..

I understand

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
So sorry for your loss and the sometimes overwhelming thought of feeling lost after intense lengthy caring is familiar to many of us here on TP. Time for me has started to lessen the intensity of the sense of loss but it never goes away.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
So sorry for your loss. You're in good company here, it's a safe place to express those feelings that maybe others, whose lives move on after the funeral, don't really understand.

Ohso

Jan 4, 2018
Im so sorry for your loss, l think the hardest part must be the gaps in the day that suddenly appear....and slap us in the face, lots of gaps, so going from a time we think...if only l had a day to myself, suddenly having it is a huge change. Add to that the loss it surely feels overwhelming and leaves too many hours filled with thoughts rattling round in our heads.
My only suggestions would be, be kind to yourself and find something that keeps your attention, for a minute, an hour or longer, a good book that can be lifted then left might be the thing,everyone is different it all takes time xxxxx
I also feel setting aside time when its ok to feel the loss is good too, have a cry, a rant, a look at old photographs is a great thing, years ago we would have visited graves, taken flowers and allowed ourselves grief, cremations seem to have robbed us of that.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Ksaray and welcome
my condolences
same here, dad died in January and I miss both visiting my dad and the dad of old ... lost mum 13 years ago and miss her ... I feel fortunate that I have so many happy memories, so when I feel lost I bring a memory to mind and make myself smile; it helps me
we each grieve in our own way and at our own pace .... take your time ...

Ksaray

May 12, 2019
Thanks Everyone x

Your lovely comments are much appreciated. I completely resonate with everyones thoughts & feelings. It's nice to be able to be somewhere folk understand.
I think that despite the brain fog ..in the later stages mum knew I was beside her the whole time.

When she couldn't say my name anymore she still knew who I was. Nearly always,
I could see it in her eyes ..it was the same way she'd looked into my eyes all my life.
So grateful for that.

Because from the point of diagnosis- that was always my worst fear that she'd forget who I was .. but no she never did forget.

I hate this flippin Dementia..its got to be one of the cruelest illnesses out there. I do hope for my sake , 10 / 15 years from now there will be a cure.
Sorry for going on ..& on lol

Just spamming my thoughts :p

Ksaray

May 12, 2019
hi @Ksaray and welcome
my condolences
same here, dad died in January and I miss both visiting my dad and the dad of old ... lost mum 13 years ago and miss her ... I feel fortunate that I have so many happy memories, so when I feel lost I bring a memory to mind and make myself smile; it helps me
we each grieve in our own way and at our own pace .... take your time ...
(((Hugs)) Shedrech x

Karen22

Nov 3, 2012
Thanks Everyone x

Your lovely comments are much appreciated. I completely resonate with everyones thoughts & feelings. It's nice to be able to be somewhere folk understand.
I think that despite the brain fog ..in the later stages mum knew I was beside her the whole time.

When she couldn't say my name anymore she still knew who I was. Nearly always,
I could see it in her eyes ..it was the same way she'd looked into my eyes all my life.
So grateful for that.

Because from the point of diagnosis- that was always my worst fear that she'd forget who I was .. but no she never did forget.

I hate this flippin Dementia..its got to be one of the cruelest illnesses out there. I do hope for my sake , 10 / 15 years from now there will be a cure.
Sorry for going on ..& on lol

Just spamming my thoughts :p
My mum once said to me, at the start of her illness, "don't let me forget who you are"; she did forget I was her daughter as was muddled about relationships but when I asked her who I was she once said "you're my best friend" - I couldn't disagree. She knew me in hospital before she passed too even though she couldn't say much, I could see it in her eyes. My dad, who has just died, never forgot who I was even though we weren't as close and he didn't think that much of me. It's strange how each sufferer loses different memories and abilities.
Karen

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
So sorry for your loss @Ksaray - thankfully my mum never lost sight of who I was. Her last coherent words were my name so hopefully she knew I was with her & tried to do my best for her. Dementia is an awful illness as you say. I really hope there is a cure one day soon xx