Hi, feeling hopeful?!

Gabriella45

Mar 21, 2024
Hi

I have searched threads, but not found this question yet. My mum lives in Spain, and has been diagnosed with dementia. She is rapidly declining. She can no longer be left alone as is a danger to herself. My sister in law fortunately has been able to go and stay with her for a few months, but this is only till July. At this point, she will need full time care. I am desperately hoping to bring her back to the UK. She doesn’t speak Spanish, and has no family over there. I have been trying to find out what to do, but feel like I am banging my head against a brick wall. Everyone I contact (local authority, Age UK etc), says she needs to be back here before I can get any answers. I have two small children, so sadly her living with me is not an option. Financially, I think she would have enough for maybe two months in a care home self funded. Is this enough time to have her assessed and a care home provided? The only other choice is to leave her in Spain, and wait for them to put her in a Spanish care home. Any advice welcome 🙏🏽

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hello and welcome. Not a clue what's for the best but someone on here will know I'm sure.
People post from all over the world on here and many older people do retire to live in Spain so I'm sure you'll get plenty of answers. K

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to Dementia Support Forum @Gabriella45. This is a very friendly and supportive community so I’m glad you found us.
I think it might be a good idea to phone the support line and talk through your options with them, 0333 150 3456 is the number.

I’m sure others that have been in this situation will be along soon with their suggestions and ideas.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Hmm that is tricky. Most care homes in the UK would not be willing to take someone with only two months funds available. If that is all she has, and no other assets, it may be that she has under to £23,500 point that would mean she was self funding.? If that’s the case you would be looking for a home that will accept LA funding. At this point she would need to be assessed by social services which is why they are telling you she needs to be in the UK first. Just a thought but have you considered getting in touch with the British consulate in Spain ?

JoannePat

Jan 24, 2019
Hi Gabriella, I can offer some advice! I am in Spain (Southern) and am a carer (not live in) for my dad!

I really think the best option for you is to take your mum home to the UK. The Spanish care homes, although excellent, do not cater for non Spanish speaking clients. My mum was in a British run care home here, which my dad paid for. It wasn't cheap but she had the best care and they didn't have one case of COVID!!

What I can't give you advice on is the form filling and assessment when she gets to the uk, but I know that someone will post the link. We also have a really good support group here in the South of Spain and I know that even if she is not local to here they will be able to offer help and advice.

Good luck and keep us updated

xx

LewyDementiaCarer

Mar 5, 2024
Hello from Spain. We provide full time live-in care for an elderly English lady here, and I will say in our experience the Spanish system can be very slow and often relies on family members and private carers to be stepping in and taking the load when things progress. Maybe some others have had different experiences? but personally, I wouldn't rely on the system out here to make timely options, and English speaking assistance as needed, rather you can be waiting months for a Spanish care assessment and then even longer for basic assistance which will be Spanish too.
I think your best option is to get your mum back close to you (thinking forward this may be a better for you so as she can receive financial support and be able to visit your mum as things progress), or you could consider if you can reshuffle finances to get live-in carers that speak English, but this requires an ongoing a relationship with them as it can be a slow & difficult disease as it progresses, will most likely get costly, especially if your mum starts needing round the clock help through the nights etc you will have to be paying multiple people to take shift work.

Having watched this disease progress, I would advise getting her back home, closer to you. If for no other reason, it will be less stressful knowing that you can see her whenever you want to, and are around if things get difficult.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
You see, I told you the clever/knowledgeable people would turn up, couldn't get much better advise than on here, if you tried. K

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gill Fowler