Hi everyone, please help me fundraise for the Alzheimers Society

nelly1976

Mar 30, 2017
Hi everyone,

Obviously this is my first post.
I'm assuming the obvious thing to do is say a little bit about me, my family, and how we are affected by dementia.

I've never been good at talking about myself or feelings or anything like that, so I'll just do a quick summary.

I'm just about to turn 41, my Auntie died a few years ago, she had Alzheimers. My father, (her brother) has dementia with Lewy bodies and Parkinsons disease.

My mum is full time caring for my dad at the moment, but I don't know how much longer she can cope on her own.

My dad is and always has been my hero, he was an ambulance driver for the majority of his life and has done everything to help others rather than himself for as long as I've known. Then his sister gets Alzheimers disease. He never let on how much this devastated him, but they were always close.

Then, my dad is diagnosed with Dementia with Lewy bodies and Parkinsons disease. How something so awful can happen to someone so good as my dad still baffles me.

It's a few years now since he was diagnosed and it's rare that he recognises me, but in true fashion he greats everyone as though he's known them all his life.

I don't know what will happen when he passes, but a huge part of me will leave with him. Obviously, I don't want to dwell on this.

So I'll move swiftly on to the real reason I'm here. I'm sure you knew this, but I am fundraising for the Alzheimer's Society and would like some help to do so.

I'm not asking for much, just whatever you can do. Surely here is the best place to ask!! I haven't ridden my bike in anger in 20+ years, but I've decided to take place in the Tour de Yorkshire ride on the 30th April, and the Pedal for Parkinsons ride in July.

Please take some time to visit my Just Giving page. The link is below.

I'm not going to just post this and then disappear, I think writing this post alone has helped me a little bit. (just talking about things is a real problem for me.) So I'm sorry that I'm not more eloquent, or if I sound abrupt, but this is a big thing for me.

I'll stop rambling on now. Thanks so much for taking the time to read this.

Apparently I can't add any links to this post as I haven't added 10 posts yet.

Please look for me on http://www.JustGiving.co.uk my name is Neil Smith

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Hello and welcome. I'm sorry to hear what your family have/are going through with Alzheimer's Disease/dementia. And well done for taking such a proactive attitide, by fundraising for the Alzheimer's Society.

There is a sub forum for fund raising threads here, if you'd like to post details of your fundraiser cycle there: https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?59-Fundraising-for-Alzheimer-s-Society

And do feel free to join in other threads on the forum. There is lots of support here and lots of others in similar circumstances.

nelly1976

Mar 30, 2017
Hi Lady A.

Thanks very much for the response. It's good to know there are plenty of people here who will take time to read and respond to messages.

I'll definitely use the fundraising thread.

Many Thanks

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leigh_77