Hi - dad just diagnosed with Alzheimer's... issues with online interactions ie. banking/smart phone/bills...

Julie1959

May 1, 2024
HI - I'm Julie and my dad has recently been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. He's 86 but is still very independent in his home and life, goes online daily to surf or check emails etc, and still drives. Chatting to him is still mostly relaxed and stress-free, and his house is immaculate (cleaner than mine...!).

However, for the past year or so he's having problems with online transactions (remembering passwords or processes/ forgetting what is already in place), and there have been a few rather complicated problems that we have had to fix... Dad can get quite upset or stressed at his 'stupidity' at the time - we reassure him that it's him illness, not him - but in general he still seems in denial about the diagnosis, which he received quite recently. We want him to retain as much independence as possible, but we also want to protect him from making poor (and sometimes expensive) mistakes because his reasoning isn't as clear as it was - for example, he recently changed his utilities unexpectedly in response to an email offering a deal, and he paid through the nose for a minor repair to his boiler by searching on Google and being hugely over-charged by one of the businesses flagged at the top of their search. My brother is monitoring his banking to a certain extent, and the bank has been helpful. We do have lasting power of attorney in place, but he still has 'capacity' and we want him to still be able to order his Tesco delivery online and make smaller purchases without us looking over him.

I guess I've come on here to find out how other people are dealing with issues like this. Most of my friends' parents with dementia have not been nearly as 'tech-savvy' as my dad and it was much easier for them to manage this aspect of their lives and keep them safe and secure. Of course, in the coming years there will be more and more pensioners who manage their finances this way...so I guess we'll develop more strategies for coping. For now, thanks for listening...and any ideas appreciated!

Hours Away

Jul 16, 2021
My PWD was tech savvy as well but then started setting up new email accounts every time they forgot their password...bought a new laptop when they'd locked themselves out of their latest one, ended up with so many mobile phones we didn't know which number to contact them on...and was also being scammed.

My solution as POA was to remotely monitor their email and landline phone (using BT call protect to check who was calling in and out) to check nothing untoward was going on which needed intervention.

I sat down with them and reset the passwords on all devices and accounts together so I had sight of the passwords and could also ensure that suitable recovery emails/phone numbers had been included.

I also set up the laptop with face recognition plus an easy to remember numeric pin code and then bookmarked their email and facebook accounts so the passwords didn't need to be input.

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
I think it’s hard when folks are still with it to some extent
Phone bank, ask to speak to dementia team. So helpful compared to regular on line employees I found.
I have as POA access to mums on line bank account and can she what she is spending
I have an extra debit card from mums account with both her name and mine. Against my name it says rep Great for shopping on line or in person.
Haven’t fully activated POA but the bank have a copy ready.
Mums fingers tremble that causes problems with hr touch screen
On a good day she copes , when she is brewing a bug she doesn’t

Don’t want to take the reigns fully off mum but I am a bit fed up of returning on line purchases
Bank have promised to block unusual expenditure and contact me
We are on the caller preference service
Mums poor hearing so far stops her helping out Nigerian princes when they ring ( and other scammers)
Utilities all have our details and we keep an eye on tariffs etc
I send money to great grandchildren for their birthdays