Hi all

Howardcr

Feb 15, 2024
My mother is 94 years old. Looks fantastic lives by herself. She has a carer to come in for an hour in the morning and an hour and evening In the last year or so she has been very repetitive with her words. Forget things within two minutes. Last night she went to bed at 4 o’clock in the evening, woke up at 9 o’clock and got dressed. She phones me up about 40 times a night. I am now at my wits end. Don’t really know where to go from here. I’m feeling so low.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Hello @Howardcr , it sounds like it might be an idea to get your mum seen by her GP. From what you say it doesn’t sound like she has a diagnosis of any kind so the GP will be able to check her general health and other factors that may be leading to this behaviour and memory issues. Once this has happened you can plan from there as to what to do. She sounds amazing , 94 is a great age to get to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @Howardcr and firstly welcome to this friendly and supportive forum.
I am sorry to read about your Mother. Does she have a diagnosis at all? If not, certainly try to get her a GP appointment so you can start the process off. Behaviour and memory issues can be caused by many things.
Now that you've joined us, do have a good look around the forums. Members here really do want to help and you'll always find understanding too.

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Hi @Howardcr

Welcome to this forum from me too.

Are you living close to your mum?
The Local Authority Adult Social Services can be asked to carry out a care assessment - to see what care needs your mum has; and they can also do a carer's assessment - and if you're the carer, then they would assess what help you need. They often have a waiting list, so you may need to press them. Anyway, when they've done an assessment you can decide whether to follow their suggestions, in full, in part, or not at all.

However, from what you've said, it seems your mum needs more supervision than she has at present.

Best wishes