Hi! A intro

maizie

Jul 22, 2007
co.dublin
Hi I joined last year but lost it again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi im Maizie, just reading all about the uti's, my mom gets them now every few months, and chest inf. as she has copd lung disease which just sends her doolady...hallucinating talking out loud to people in the room...first time i thought the dementia had suddenly took hold an she had lost it...was very scary..now i know its infections....sometimes i can look after her at home if we catch it in time other times its 999 an ambulance, she was in hosp. last week two days on a trolley in a/e she had both uti n chest....she is 78 an has bad mood changes, anger outbursts, thing is she wasnt the easiest woman before so its hard to tell whats the dementia an whats her manipulating things:rolleyes:
she was living with me for year n half. i thought that was it for the rest of her time...but her anger n packing her bag to go home, every few months was very wearing on us all...so after a talk with the s.w. she said if thats what she wants we can see how she gets on, she only lives up the rd, with my disability brother been home now for 2 months cant believe she coping so well,. an i do get bit space now, go up twice day to leave out her meds. FIND THINGS SHE HAS LOST... I do all the shopping for them n washing, bit of tidying its very hard, when i have a husband n two kids here well 21 an 24 but u know what i mean :(
Delighted i found the forum again....enjoyed reading ur posts.
Thanks maizie

Souffle

Feb 12, 2009
Bournemouth, Dorset
Hi aowensey and everyone

i'm in exactly the same situation as you. See my "New Member" post earlier last week for my story. I'm going back to the GP next week to try and get him to give Mum a brain scan. She has exactly the same symptoms as all those described by those who have posted here so how can it not be dementia or Alzheimers? It's so frustrating because you feel if you had a definite dagnosis, it would be easier for you to cope with it. I have to admit that i get cross and short tempered with Mum because her behaviour is so odd and annoying. I hate myself afterwards and this isn't doing anything for my self esteem. I don't want to put her in a home because I promised her I wouldn't do that, and yet I sometimes wonder if I am doing the best for her. I feel that I could cope with it better if I knew she really couldn't help it, that she wasn't just being awkward and difficult on purpose. My problem is that Mum has always suffered from a psychiatric illness, so it's very hard to differentiate between that and her new problems although these are definately different.

I will also contact the local branch of the Alzheimers society as suggested. Let me know how you get on aowensey! Best wishes Souffle