Herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV1) a cause of cognitive impairment?

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I've posted before about this, and the research of Professor Ruth Itzhaki amongst others:

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?41250-Herpes-and-AD

I can find no good reason why this promising research continues to struggle for funding.

I've recently been astonished to learn of research that strongly implicates HSV1 in the cognitive impairment that often occurs in schizophrenia. And in bipolar!

It might not be appropriate to post a number of links here, but people who are interested can find the links and more about this topic on my blog.

Oh, and did you know that another herpes virus - CMV - has been found in the brains of 93% (as opposed to 34% of age-matched 'normals') of patients with vascular dementia? There's also a link to the abstract of this research on my blog.

Karjo

Jan 11, 2012
Very interesting. Mum often gets small cold sores. Not enough to treat but enough to notice. If i go in the sun without sunscreen on my lips i get enormous cold sores. Doesnt bode well so I hope there is no connection!

NeverGiveUp

May 17, 2011
Interesting research.

Assuming that there is an increase in the various forms of dementia - as against other things such as 'old age' or 'senile decay' being now called dementia and increasing the statistics. Is there also an increase in cases of herpes? Could these current statistics be used as a predictor of furure dementia numbers. Is there any way historic figures can be used to compare to dementia today?

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Interesting research.

Assuming that there is an increase in the various forms of dementia - as against other things such as 'old age' or 'senile decay' being now called dementia and increasing the statistics. Is there also an increase in cases of herpes? Could these current statistics be used as a predictor of furure dementia numbers. Is there any way historic figures can be used to compare to dementia today?

Interesting questions!

tomkitten16

Sep 24, 2012
merseyside
this is so interesting-Mum had about 6yrs ago the most terrible shingles which covered her face and head all over-She looked like she had been in a major car crash!Shingles is caused by the cold sore virus or is in the same group(i've no medical knowlege) After mum had recovered from the shingles- over time , she became more forgetful and confused.We asked the GP could shingles have contributed to mum's state of mind and he pooh- poohed the suggestion saying there was no link-but after reading this I feel that there may well be.Has anyone else experienced anything like this after face/head shingles

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
This is often being brought up here. As far as I am aware, there is no cure for HSV1. Until there is, I'm afraid I cannot see the point of this connection being raised repeatedly as it is just yet another source of worry. Once there is a cure, then it will be very important to do so. My mother used to have cold sores, never had shingles and had AD - or did she as she also had blood which clotted easily. She died aged 73, 30 years ago but received no scan, no care, no AS at that time so no advice nor input from anybody except her GP and a single visit to a gerontologist who more or less said it was down to us.

My husband had/has cold sores and has dementia but has been diagnosed with VD due to his history but no scan has been done so an element of AD was not ruled out. So, in both case, HSV1 might have been responsible but equally, might not have been. One of my daughters has cold sores as does her son who has Down's Syndrome, the latter being a known risk for AD. She is aware of the suggested connection of HSV1.

If we include Shingles in the mix, I also know of at least 3 people who have had very bad shingles and died with their minds being as sharp as they ever were. Then do we add all those who have had Chickenpox? Same virus - so eventually, nearly everybody will be included. Just my thoughts and not necessarily of any significance. I would prefer to live my life as best I can unless there is something I can do about it - which, at the moment, it seems there isn't - unless someone else knows better!!!:)

tomkitten16

Sep 24, 2012
merseyside
So sorry I hope I haven't upset you at all- I had never seen /read anything about viruses and dementia before and it was just something that has been bugging my sister and I for some time. Apologies Lorraine xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Perhaps this is the reason research into dementia is so difficult, because there are so many different forms of dementia and perhaps as many different causes.

Neither my mother, my father or my husband have ever had cold sores or shingles although my mother did have shingles in the late stages of her dementia.

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
My husband frequently suffered from cold sores. He developed early onset AD in his early sixties and has since died.
There were no previous cases of dementia in his family.
Very interesting.

velo70

Sep 20, 2012
Devon
Herpes virus-shingles-ADZ

My wife had Shingles in her left eye area, 20 months ago. We feel it directly linked to beginning to suffer memory loss and the onset of ADZ. The shingles is not totally gone, even now, with discomfort in the eye and scalp area affected. Meanwhile she has deteriorated, slowly, into the awful fog. I have read, that after chicken pox, herpes vius remains in the body even after death. Our doc advises that Shingles can occur to anyone at any age, but is most likely in those who had chicken pox.

Last edited:

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
This is often being brought up here. As far as I am aware, there is no cure for HSV1. Until there is, I'm afraid I cannot see the point of this connection being raised repeatedly as it is just yet another source of worry. Once there is a cure, then it will be very important to do so. My mother used to have cold sores, never had shingles and had AD - or did she as she also had blood which clotted easily. She died aged 73, 30 years ago but received no scan, no care, no AS at that time so no advice nor input from anybody except her GP and a single visit to a gerontologist who more or less said it was down to us.

My husband had/has cold sores and has dementia but has been diagnosed with VD due to his history but no scan has been done so an element of AD was not ruled out. So, in both case, HSV1 might have been responsible but equally, might not have been. One of my daughters has cold sores as does her son who has Down's Syndrome, the latter being a known risk for AD. She is aware of the suggested connection of HSV1.

If we include Shingles in the mix, I also know of at least 3 people who have had very bad shingles and died with their minds being as sharp as they ever were. Then do we add all those who have had Chickenpox? Same virus - so eventually, nearly everybody will be included. Just my thoughts and not necessarily of any significance. I would prefer to live my life as best I can unless there is something I can do about it - which, at the moment, it seems there isn't - unless someone else knows better!!!:)

Thanks Saffie it's true that there is no cure for HSV1 yet, but even the patient info leaflet for aciclovir mentions a prevention dose (i.e. for cold sores). Aciclovir has been shown to reduce amyloid plaques in the laboratory.

I've mentioned before on here that my wife has been taking aciclovir for nearly a year and her condition has improved in ways that impress and puzzle professionals who have seen her 'before and after'.

I make no claims, but as I've also said before, if she'd been on a 'dementia drug', I'd be singing its praises.

Incidentally, for anyone who is worried, there's no suggestion that everyone with HSV1 gets dementia, nor that all demntia is caused by HSV1

gringo

Feb 1, 2012
UK.
Our surgery is offering a vaccination against shingles for all over 79. It says that clinical trials show that the vaccine provides immunity., but then goes on to say it decreased the incidence of shingles!

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Our surgery is offering a vaccination against shingles for all over 79. It says that clinical trials show that the vaccine provides immunity., but then goes on to say it decreased the incidence of shingles!
Well, if the vaccine provides immunity against Shingles, it surely will decrease the incidence of it won't it?:confused: - if it works, that is and why would they offer it if it doesn't.

Perhaps a Chickenpox vaccine is the way to go!

KentJude

Jul 2, 2012
Maidstone
This HSV1 link to AD is of interest to me, mum used to get fairly regular cold sores but only one that I can remember in all her 8 yrs of AD.

AD is hereditary through mum's father's family. I don't know about the prevalence of HSV1 in those relatives. Mum's mother also had HSV1 but her mind was sharp as a pin pretty much till she died at 97. There will always be exceptions of course but also probably the triggers for AD are combinations of circumstances.

I look forward to learning more about this research.

Sweetcheeks

Feb 3, 2013
Northwest
Perhaps this is the reason research into dementia is so difficult, because there are so many different forms of dementia and perhaps as many different causes.

Neither my mother, my father or my husband have ever had cold sores or shingles although my mother did have shingles in the late stages of her dementia.

An interesting point Granny G, is that shingles is the chicken pox virus which stays dormant in your body and in later life it can come back as shingles sometimes due to stress or being rundown and if you come into contact with someone who has shingles and you haven't had chicken pox you can you can get it. And having had chicken pox twice once as a child and again as an adult the second time was agony. Probably the reason why people when finding out some else's kids have it they take their kids to play with the infected kids so they will catch it because its much better younger than older!

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
The recent thread about coconut oil and the general bemusement at the paucity of research into something that looks to some of us like a promising dementia treatment prompts me to post this link:

http://www.alzforum.org/res/for/journal/detail.asp?liveID=188

This is not about coconut oil but the well-known link between HSV1 and dementia in which is also treated dismissively by the dementia establishment, certainly in the UK, .

You'll find here, on the website of what is clearly a legitimate and open-minded AD support organisation. a 'webinar' in which Professor Ruth Intzhaki and others explore the well-known HSV1/AD link in great detail (perhaps more detail than many of us can take in).:)

There are also further interesting links on this site.

Last edited:

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Thank you Stanley pj for this - it is very relevant to me - I am at present unable to write the details but hope I will at some point.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
It is a very interesting information and I note that it states that it is not claiming that this is the cause of all AD.

I have to say in our own particular circumstances, there is no link. My husband, 58, with early onset dementia has never had a cold sore, nor shingles. As far as we can tell, he is the only person in his family within living memory (going back about three generations) to ever develop dementia in any form - so quite why hubby has it, is a total mystery to us all - and will probably remain so.

This research may only tell a small part of the story, but it is important nonetheless.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
It is a very interesting information and I note that it states that it is not claiming that this is the cause of all AD.

I have to say in our own particular circumstances, there is no link. My husband, 58, with early onset dementia has never had a cold sore, nor shingles. As far as we can tell, he is the only person in his family within living memory (going back about three generations) to ever develop dementia in any form - so quite why hubby has it, is a total mystery to us all - and will probably remain so.

This research may only tell a small part of the story, but it is important nonetheless.

Absolutely. I think I said this earlier in the thread. Professor Intzhaki estimate the percentage caused by HSV1 as around 40% (speaking from memory as haven't got that email to hand). There must be many causes. But if a common drug could slow down and possibly halt AD in 40% of sufferers, you would think it might be a very worthwhile area for research. But the AS apparently thinks not.

Last edited:

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
May I add my anecdote please?:)

A rather odd coincidence (we were told coincidence ) happened between my mum and her sister some 7/8 years ago. My mum and I went to visit her sister for a couple of days and approximately 5 days later they both came down with shingles. They both suffered the after effects for over a year and my mum's sister developed dementia thereafter. My mum has followed suit, although she is not yet at such an advanced stage.

For several years I blamed myself for 'giving' them both shingles and causing my aunt's demise as I had been in contact with chicken pox through school at the time (I am a teacher). Although every doctor I have asked has re-assured me, I still wonder about it all. It just seems very odd.

Angela

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bebb