Helping out

Matilda1

Sep 26, 2023
Hi everyone

New to the forum. Found out a few days ago my estranged sister had a diagnosis of Vascular Dementia in June this year. Even though estranged I feel like I've been hit by a bus. I want to help her but don't know how?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @Matilda1

I was estranged from my sister. She was very ill and her daughter phoned me to tell me in case I wished to make contact. I made contact immediately and was able to help her through her illness.

We live miles apart but stayed in contact by phone.

All you can do is make contact. If she has children perhaps you could sound them out first to see how they think your sister might react.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @Matilda1 and welcome to the forum. I am sorry to read about your sisters diagnosis which must be more difficult for you because of the estrangement.
Would the person who told you about the diagnosis be able to say to your sister that you would like to be able to help her. Or could you possibly write to your sister telling her that you have heard about the diagnosis and asking if there is any way in which you could help her.

Matilda1

Sep 26, 2023
Welcome @Matilda1

I was estranged from my sister. She was very ill and her daughter phoned me to tell me in case I wished to make contact. I made contact immediately and was able to help her through her illness.

We live miles apart but stayed in contact by phone.

All you can do is make contact. If she has children perhaps you could sound them out first to see how they think your sister might react.

Good luck
That's more or less what has happened to me. I too rang immediately as brother in law said she not good with texting. I saw her photo and it's really upset me. She lives 100 mile round trip away. I will go and see her and help where I can. I've just got to get myself in the right place so I don't cry in front if her. Thanks for replying.

Matilda1

Sep 26, 2023
Hello @Matilda1 and welcome to the forum. I am sorry to read about your sisters diagnosis which must be more difficult for you because of the estrangement.
Would the person who told you about the diagnosis be able to say to your sister that you would like to be able to help her. Or could you possibly write to your sister telling her that you have heard about the diagnosis and asking if there is any way in which you could help her.
Hi
I have made contact and spoken every day. Conversation is limited due to her dementia and I will go and see her when I've adjusted to the fact she is poorly. I don't want to sit in front of her crying. Thank you for replying