Helping in the shower

Bem

Jul 15, 2016
For some time I sit in the bathroom to supervise my husband in the shower. (It's a walk-in shower that replaced the bath). We're rapidly reaching the point where his confusion means that I'll have to shower him myself. I don't know how to do this without getting wet! Any suuggestions would be welcome!☺ (Getting in with him doesn't appeal to me!!)

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi @Bem and welcome to the forum.

I had that problem with showering my husband. When I had our bathroom in our old house redone I got a disabled access walk in shower cubicle. It had a half door which meant that I could stand outside of the shower and remain (reasonably) dry. When we moved to my current apartment I had the walk in shower changed to a wet room with a shower screen. The screen is in two halves - a similar idea to the door on our last shower cubicle. It worked well.

Good luck!

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hullo and welcome from me too, Bem. Like Izzy we have a shower screen about waist height which reduces splashing and floods to a bare minimum. We also have a shower seat as OH has mobility problems, but that keeps her comfortable and makes life easier for the care assistants. Have you thought about getting carers in ? They take a lot of strain out of harder parts or caring such as personal care.

Bem

Jul 15, 2016
Hi @Bem and welcome to the forum.

I had that problem with showering my husband. When I had our bathroom in our old house redone I got a disabled access walk in shower cubicle. It had a half door which meant that I could stand outside of the shower and remain (reasonably) dry. When we moved to my current apartment I had the walk in shower changed to a wet room with a shower screen. The screen is in two halves - a similar idea to the door on our last shower cubicle. It worked well.

Good luck!
Thank you Izzy. We had the walk-in shower fitted to replace the bath - I thought it would make life easier. Now it seems I should have had one with the half-door...can't win!