Help

Lobo

Apr 15, 2015
Hi I don't really know what I'm doing my mum has just been diagnosed with rapid on set alzheimers and her husband is just about to be diagnosed with some sort of dementia , I don't know what to do, can't stop crying and feel that with carers going in 4 times a day I should be able to step back but feel guilty. I have now been put on anti depressants and can't stop crying . What should I do, please help ??

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Welcome to TP Lobo. I am so sorry about the very distressing circumstances that have brought you here.

It would probably help to talk your problems through with an expert, which you can do if you follow this link:

http://www.dementiauk.org/what-we-do/admiral-nurses/

Admiral Nurses work specifically with those who care for people with dementia. I hope there will be one based near you but you will see from the link that there is also a dedicated Direct phoneline.

I'm sure that you will find TP very helpful.

patsy56

Jan 14, 2015
Fife Scotland
Hi I don't really know what I'm doing my mum has just been diagnosed with rapid on set alzheimers and her husband is just about to be diagnosed with some sort of dementia , I don't know what to do, can't stop crying and feel that with carers going in 4 times a day I should be able to step back but feel guilty. I have now been put on anti depressants and can't stop crying . What should I do, please help ??

Lobo, sorry to hear your distress, but by joining us here on TP you will find that you are not alone, and as we are going through this as well, and some have passed through, it is a learning curve for us all, all we can do is be here for each other.

jacqui_o

Jun 21, 2011
Lobo this is a position a great many have found them self in and its is a case of trust,faith and belief that the carers will do as good a job as you.

You feel guilty because you are/have brought them in 4 times a day. Do not feel guilty, you have done the right thing for all concerned, you also have to make sure your health also does not suffer.

Also perhaps there is a part of grieving as well, as it is clear this situation is progressing and this is part of the process. So long as they can manage with a little family support but when carers become involved its because of progression.

I felt like you when I had to section my mum 2 years ago.....it was horrible but you are doing the right thing.