Help

Hugh

Sep 23, 2005
Just been to visit Mum in nursing home - its her birthday and she is 94. I am 66 and one of her sons - I love her to bits she has been in care for 10 years and each time I visit her its like saying goodbye to her again and again. She was a lively funny professional til this hellish illness struck her down 10 years ago. I hate going to see her which I know sounds selfish but the last 10m years have been hell for me. Had to sell her house and belongings and now seeing care home eating away her money at £850 per week !!!! Took her card and some nice hand cream today bless her - she doesn't deserve this sort of end to a wonderful life she had. Feeling angry, sad and also guilty as always. Alzheimers must surely have been invented by the devil himself ....

copsham

Oct 11, 2012
Oxfordshire
Hello Hugh, I understand exactly what you mean. I look at my mother and wish I could do anything "to make her better". When you said your mother was a lively professional this rung a chord with me. In my mothers nursing home there is an ex midwife, an ex florist , and ex sales man and ex headteacher etc. They come to be frail old confused people having fully lost their status in life. I wish something could be done about this. I did a photo album of my mother in her working days but she forgets it is there and then thinks she is seeing it for the first time when I show her. Ten years is such a duration, my mother is 87 yrs old and been diagnosed for one year and in her nursing home for one year. You are nine years ahead of me.:(

fullmoon

May 22, 2013
Hugh, I fully understand your feelings. My mum is due to go into a CH on Thursday and she does not even know:(. She was only diagnosed a year ago but has declined rapidly. Part of me would love to put my head in the sand and not see her in a CH environment and witness the inevitable progression - it's torture. But I like you remember the mum she was so will endeavour to care and look out for her until this hideous journey ends.

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
Feeling angry, sad and also guilty as always. Alzheimers must surely have been invented by the devil himself ....

Your mum sounds lovely. 94 and still going strong in her own little world. She is obviously happy in her home and lucky to have such a devoted son...10 years of those difficult emotions...you must be as resilient as she is!

I am sorry you are feeling so fed up and hope tomorrow is better for you.