1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

1. gillianjoyce

gillianjoyce Registered User

Feb 20, 2007
    Social services are trying to take control of my parents by having them declared unable to manage their own finances. I feel they are able to make their wishes known and are still living a fairly independent life in their own home. I disagree but feel powerless to protect them. Can anybody help with any suggestions???????

2. Skye

Skye Registered User

Aug 29, 2006
    SW Scotland
    Hi Gillianjoyce

That sounds horrendous. I've never heard of that before.

The first thing to do (immediately) is get EPA, either by seeing a solicitor, or by downloading the forms yourself. In these circumstances I would rely on a solicitor.

Try this factsheet:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/After_diagnosis/Sorting_out_your_money/info_epa.htm

But I can't understand why SS think they can cut you out of the equation.

Welcome to TP, by the way. I'm sure there will be others who will give you advice.

3. Helena

Helena Registered User

May 24, 2006
    Its absolutely vital that your parents DO NOT SIGN or ALLOW the SS to take over

Theres only one thing they want and thats their money and property

Download EPA forms and get them signed and witnessed PDQ and send them off to Court of Protection for registration

Then put in writing to SS that EPAs have been set up and are with the Court of Protection for Registration and send it by Recorded Delivery

If that does not stop SS then you will need to involve a Solicitor

4. Áine

Áine Registered User

Hi, gillianjoyce, it sounds a difficult situation but without knowing more about it, it's unlikely anyone can give any detailed advice. You might like to phone the helpline http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/About_our_work/Contact_us/helpline.htm to speak to someone in more detail about what's happening.

Helena, I'm sure social services can be a pain at times, but having worked as a social worker for over 10 years I have to say that I never met one who was after anyone's money or property.