Registered User
Feb 20, 2007
Social services are trying to take control of my parents by having them declared unable to manage their own finances. I feel they are able to make their wishes known and are still living a fairly independent life in their own home. I disagree but feel powerless to protect them. Can anybody help with any suggestions???????


Registered User
Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Gillianjoyce

That sounds horrendous. I've never heard of that before.

The first thing to do (immediately) is get EPA, either by seeing a solicitor, or by downloading the forms yourself. In these circumstances I would rely on a solicitor.

Try this factsheet:

But I can't understand why SS think they can cut you out of the equation.

Welcome to TP, by the way. I'm sure there will be others who will give you advice.


Registered User
May 24, 2006
Its absolutely vital that your parents DO NOT SIGN or ALLOW the SS to take over

Theres only one thing they want and thats their money and property

Download EPA forms and get them signed and witnessed PDQ and send them off to Court of Protection for registration

Then put in writing to SS that EPAs have been set up and are with the Court of Protection for Registration and send it by Recorded Delivery

If that does not stop SS then you will need to involve a Solicitor


Registered User
Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
Hi, gillianjoyce, it sounds a difficult situation but without knowing more about it, it's unlikely anyone can give any detailed advice. You might like to phone the helpline to speak to someone in more detail about what's happening.

Helena, I'm sure social services can be a pain at times, but having worked as a social worker for over 10 years I have to say that I never met one who was after anyone's money or property.