Help

S J

Dec 3, 2023
Hello I am new to the forum and hope that someone can advise on ways to help my 86 year old father continue to live at home. He recently had his driving license revoked and has started walking. he will walk for miles not realising he has to get home. I live 4 hours away so it is very worrying, he has got lost and fortunately some kind person has taken him home. does anyone know of a suitable tracking devise or some other way of helping him get home. he does not have a mobile phone. Thank you for any help or advice.

Ellie2018

Jun 26, 2023
Hello I am new to the forum and hope that someone can advise on ways to help my 86 year old father continue to live at home. He recently had his driving license revoked and has started walking. he will walk for miles not realising he has to get home. I live 4 hours away so it is very worrying, he has got lost and fortunately some kind person has taken him home. does anyone know of a suitable tracking devise or some other way of helping him get home. he does not have a mobile phone. Thank you for any help or advice.
I have this issue with my OH and have spent quite a bit of time trying to sort this. I haven’t found anything perfect despite some of the claims. I have ended up with a ring doorbell that ‘clocks him in and out’ so I know when he’s out and if he’s not back 15 minutes later I know there’s a problem. I have also got him an apple watch with a contract so that if he’s not back when he should be I can ring him on the watch - I can also use this in the ‘find my’ function in my phone so I know if he’s veered off course.

This works for us most of the time but it’s time consuming and quite stressful when I’m checking constantly whilst I’m out. It may not work for you as you’re not close by. If you decide on this, just be aware that it needs a certain level of both iPhone and watch. It’s hard to believe that there isn’t something specifically for this as it could keep many people safe and at home for longer. I did email the BBC technical programme to suggest they look into it but no response.

S J

Dec 3, 2023
I have this issue with my OH and have spent quite a bit of time trying to sort this. I haven’t found anything perfect despite some of the claims. I have ended up with a ring doorbell that ‘clocks him in and out’ so I know when he’s out and if he’s not back 15 minutes later I know there’s a problem. I have also got him an apple watch with a contract so that if he’s not back when he should be I can ring him on the watch - I can also use this in the ‘find my’ function in my phone so I know if he’s veered off course.

This works for us most of the time but it’s time consuming and quite stressful when I’m checking constantly whilst I’m out. It may not work for you as you’re not close by. If you decide on this, just be aware that it needs a certain level of both iPhone and watch. It’s hard to believe that there isn’t something specifically for this as it could keep many people safe and at home for longer. I did email the BBC technical programme to suggest they look into it but no response.
Thank you for your reply, i had thought about an apple watch but wondered if there was anything else out there.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @S J and welcome to Dementia Support Forum our friendly and helpful community of people who have experience of many aspects of dementia. I don't have any experience of using tracking devices but, as this subject comes up quite frequently, I am sure that you will get some good suggestions.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Knowing where he is won't stop him getting lost, run over or taken advantage of by a scammer.

If your father is wandering like this it's time to get him more supervision or consider a care home. This is probably not what you want to hear but honestly, wandering (especially in winter) is never going to end well.

S J

Dec 3, 2023
Knowing where he is won't stop him getting lost, run over or taken advantage of by a scammer.

If your father is wandering like this it's time to get him more supervision or consider a care home. This is probably not what you want to hear but honestly, wandering (especially in winter) is never going to end well.
Thank you for your reply, you have voiced my worries. He is adamant he does not need more help or to be in a care home. That is going to be my next hurdle

2ndAlto

Nov 23, 2012
Apple air tag on a key ring you can attach to his keys? You can track on your phone.

Ellie2018

Jun 26, 2023
Apple air tag on a key ring you can attach to his keys? You can track on your phone.
Thank you for your reply, i had thought about an apple watch but wondered if there was anything else out there.
If he carries a phone thats the best thing - trackable, contactable. I tried a tracker watch first which on paper sounds ideal - has notifications if they go beyond your set boundary but it never worked, the GPS on it wasn’t suitable. This is marketed as a tracker for dementia but really didn’t work. There is some suggestion that the council buttton alerts can do it, our social worker said it did but then checked and it doesn’t. It’s sad in this day and age that there isn’t something specifically for this that actually works.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janet1980