Help!

Captain Dinosaur

Mar 31, 2019
Hey everyone.

So I'm 34 and recently started having issues with my memory. So far I've forgotten appointments, the date, month and year and where I live (Luckily the dog remembered). I also lose stuff all the time and have even forgotten where my 5 year old child was (He was at school).

As a result, I'm no longer seen as fit to look after him so he's going to live with his father instead. I'm terrified of this idea as I'm scared I'll forget things about him like his cheekiness or the dimples on his face.
Any advice on how to remember him?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Captain Dinosaur , and welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place for information and support.

I think the best thing to do in this situation is have a chat with your GP. Many treatable conditions, such as depression, stress, thyroid problems, vitamin deficiencies etc., can cause dementia like symptoms so it's important to have a check-up. Please don't cause additional stress by jumping to the immediate conclusion that it's dementia. On the other hand, if it is dementia then a diagnosis may open up support for you.

Here is a link to a Society Fact sheet about the diagnosis issue. Just click the second line to read or print the document

Assessment and diagnosis (426)
PDF printable version

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.