help!!

vanny72

Sep 17, 2018
my husband has dementia. he has had it for around 3 years now..he is only 61. he has started getting aggressive, not violent...but pushes me now and again..hits my back when i go past him, this morning he stood on my foot purposely, while i was on the telephone. he is incontinent on occasions, won't wear pads, etc etc. he won't talk to me, is very quiet, paces up and down. has a pet tie that he keeps near him, or in a drawer, and keeps checking on it every 2 minutes or so. he is now refusing to drink..i have trouble getting him to eat, and taking his tablets is a nightmare. i can;t cope...anyone else have these problems? if i try and talk to him it is a defnite "NO" to anything i say e.g do you want a drink? "NO".. do you want something to eat? "NO"..are you coming out with me (shopping etc)?"NO" i am at my wits end. he kept me awake all night last night, sitting up in bed, looking in his drawer for his tie, kept playing with it in bed...i actually thought he is going to strangle me with it....getting out of bed, pulling covers off me...i can't cope...social workers have suggested respite...but the cost???.....around £160 week...i can't really afford that...

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
If you think talking to an expert would help point you in the right direction it may be worthwhile trying the help line, the details are

National Dementia Helpline
0300 222 11 22
Our helpline advisers are here for you.
Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm