Help with transport

StanDementia64

May 2, 2024
Could someone tell me how to apply for bus pass for my husband who's been diagnosed with Alzeimer. He's 64 and I'm 63. Will I be able to get one too as I'm his full time unpaid carer. Money is tight with just UC entitlement.
TX in advance

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Look up your local county council webpage for this.

In my council you have to attend the library with proof of disability and proof of address. You should be able to have his bus pass marked companion needed. You would need to stress he would be unsafe travelling on his own.

This should be an easy task but some councils make you jump through hoops. Do you have a local carers organisation that could help?

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
they keep it quiet but there are such things as disabled person’s bus passes. if your condition prevents you from driving you are eligible. I know several people who have them and have successfully helped them to apply.

Rayreadynow

Dec 31, 2023
Good piece of information. But I would imagine you may have to be in receipt of either Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independent Payments.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i have a disability bus pass but i do recieve PIP and you have to have 10 points on the mobility section to qualify. do you think you could qualify for PIP? its not means tested and doesnt take off your UC but is extra.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Bad news.....you will have to wait until you are 67.
It depends where you live. In London you can get. 60+ Oyster card, in Wales, Northen Ireland and Scotland pass passes are avaliable at 60.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
they keep it quiet but there are such things as disabled person’s bus passes. if your condition prevents you from driving you are eligible. I know several people who have them and have successfully helped them to apply.

Concessionary travel for being unable to drive is written into Bee Network (was TFGM)

You have severe enduring mental health issues which are likely to cause the driving of vehicles by them to be a source of danger to the public

Eligibility for a concessionary travel pass may be considered "automatic" (not requiring further assessment) where a person is in receipt of any of the following:

• Evidence from the DVLA that you are currently barred from holding a licence due to a severe mental disorder

You suffer from epilepsy, dizziness or fainting, sight impairment or any other disability which are likely to cause the driving of vehicles by them to be a source of danger to the public

Eligibility for a concessionary travel pass may be considered "automatic" (not requiring further assessment) where a person is in receipt of any of the following:

• Evidence from the DVLA that you are currently barred from holding a licence due to one of the listed reasons

If you haven't got a licence for the DVLA to cancel getting a refusal for a provisional licence may suffice.

leny connery

Nov 13, 2022
Thanks for all of your response, my husband has been diagnosed with Dementia but hasn't got DLA nor PIP.
a care's card/support card means many thing might be free for you. I just found out that our local museum does not charge me, also theater tickes is free for a carer, another card gives you discounts in some shops, but I hear you need to buy it?? please ask the admiral nrse of alzheimer website and or google it. every little thing helps. presumably you get attendance allowance and council tax reduction already? Good luck

Seabream

Mar 28, 2024
No. Apply for a Disabled Person's pass and ask for it to be made a companion pass. Your local council or CAB will advise. Most are helpful.

StanDementia64

May 2, 2024
i have a disability bus pass but i do recieve PIP and you have to have 10 points on the mobility section to qualify. do you think you could qualify for PIP? its not means tested and doesnt take off your UC but is extra.
Thanks a lot, my score was just 8 pts

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
But if you have dementia and have been advised NOT to drive you are automatically entitled however many points you have…..but I guess for some in early disease driving is still ok …but as soon as GP or psychiatrist says to stop the bus pass will be available