Help with rehoming pets

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
The breeder of a friends dog is going to take the dog back when owner can no longer cope ( she has cancer).

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Truly sad to hear that about Cinnamon Trust.

Here, in County Durham, we were lucky in that there was an Angel of a woman who devoted her life to cat welfare.
When a stray cat was forced, through nature, to have her kittens in the undergrowth of my,dementia suffering, Mam's peony...she swooped like an angel, every evening, capturing a kitten or two at a time until she got the final kitten and a very frightened emaciated mum.

None of the charities would help.

This lady was an animals saviour like your dear Mum.

I subscribe monthly to a lot of animal charities, including the Cinnamon Trust, your experience is going to make me review my donations and make sure I target them towards the right places.

I SO understand the extra layer of angst and torment you must feel, it's almost too painful to imagine.

I do hope you are able to find the help you need.
Please let us know if you find a haven for your dear, rescuing Mum's, rescued pets. x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Last resort
have you told cin trust, cats protection and the ones that promise not to have them put down that you are just going to turn them lose if they won't take them?

have you tried these people. They are called prevent unwanted pets and they are on the Fylde coast they have lots of cats on their board on cat chat
Tel: 01253 874560
Mobile: 07792 672521
Email: kathy.marie@talk21.com
Registered Charity No: 702569

I took a rescued cat to the wood green animal shelter and they told me if I had phoned they would have said they were full but their policy was they can't turn them away. Its a long way from you but I guess if you were desperate................
Wood Green The Animals Charity
Animal Rescue Service
Address: Highway Cottage, Chishill Rd, Heydon, Royston SG8 8PN

I'm sorry I feel really helpless!
Phone:0844 248 8181

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I've just realised that you are the lady I told about Maghull.....did your mum get a place there?

Red Geranium

Aug 2, 2017
similar problem

I respect that my mother has a deep love of her dog, but she struggles to take care of her, over feeds, under feeds, forgets drinking water and keeps the dog on a tight lead making her more irritable with other dogs. The dog is not very big, but has twice pulled my mother over, and that was when she was in better shape without dementia.

My mother's dementia is worsening and we are starting to research care home options. People have told me that there are some that take dogs, but this dog is not a good candidate for that.

Cinnamon Trust don't re-home, only foster for short hospital stays. They don't dog walk on a regular basis either, as I enquired about this last year and ended up finding a professional dog walker who has been great.

Oldies Club phoned me back, the lady was lovely, but said as my mum can talk our PoA is no use, they can only act with her consent.

Dogs Trust have agreed to do an assessment.

Bizzylizzy73, I hope you found a good solution for your mum's pets.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Since when has the fact that a person can talk has anything to do with POA? OH could talk, but it was mostly nonsense and absolutely nothing to do with POA!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Bizzyliizy73, I am so sorry that you have the stress of this on top of your mum's illness! Living so far away must make things even harder for you (((hugs)))

I'm afraid I cannot suggest anything that has not already been mentioned. It is so sad, I would be devastated to think that my cats were not being properly looked after if/when I am no longer able to do it - but you cannot conjure a home up out of nowhere :(

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
What most prospective owners taking over an elderly animal fear most are the vet bills and the likelihood of losing the animal very soon after they've come to care for it very deeply.

Nothing can be done about the second fear but the first one is something that can be "mitigated". Could you adapt / adopt the scheme we came up with to rehome a friend's dearly loved but very badly looked after, 15 / 16 year old cat with an expensive health condition to monitor and treat?

The cat's care and support was managed by a triumvirate of us.

The friend's comfortably off son living overseas paid for the cat's vet's bills (direct payment to the vet by online credit transfer).

Being local, I liaised with the vet to agree the scheme itself and subsequently check that any proposed treatment was in the cat's best interest, likely to "work" and not too extravagant (bear in mind this cat had been neglected so there was a lot of initial work to do to ensure she was pain-free and in comparatively good health). If there had ever been any problems over payment or whatever, it would have been my responsibility to sort them out.

I was also the liaison person whom the new owner / carer used to negotiate / agree any new treatment for the cat with the son.

The cat's new owner / carer provided the food, treats, cuddles, home and everything else the cat needed. The new owner couldn't possibly have taken on the cat if she'd had to pay the vet bills - but she provided "her" pet with wonderful care for the next 2 years or so, until the cat needed to be euthanased.

This scheme worked I think because (a) it was set up so that nobody could take advantage or mistreat the cat: (b) all our individual duties and responsibilities to each other, the cat and the vet were set out in writing at the outset; and (c) we trusted each other.

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
I was going to post then realised this thread is from last year! Hope it all got sorted out happily for the cats.