Help with mother in law

Curlygirly

Sep 4, 2018
Gloucestershire
Hi
My mother in law was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s in March of this year following an 18 month or so battle to get her some help. She was (and still is) adamant that she doesn’t have any problems, blissfully unaware of the fallout she leaves behind for my husband (her only living family) and myself to try and sort out. When she first attended the memory clinic she convincingly told them her memory didn’t cause any issues and basically told them what she wanted them to hear, not what actually happens. This was not helped by her friend who accompanied her and agreed that everyone had a few memory problems at that age (81). As there have been continuing problems with not taking her medication (any of it, not just the memory tablets Aricept) she now has a weekly dosette box but still doesn’t take the pills apart from when she was away with a friend recently. I have a lady coming out next week to try and fit an electronic prompter to see if that helps. My husband now has Power of Attorney for finances etc but our problem is that she just cannot remember that DVLA have taken away her driving licence (we had to remove the car keys to prevent her driving) and likewise she can’t take in the fact that she can no longer go to the bank to get money. So every time the subject comes up she flies into yet another rage about it all and takes it out on us. This is a side to her that her friends don’t see. Her bank and building society expressed great concerns over lost pass books, cheque books and “missing” debit cards and are relieved that POA is now in place. Even when we write things down for her to see, like that we collect her tablets every week, she cannot comprehend/retain and we just go round in circles. Does anyone have any ideas on what we could try?
Many thanks
Curlygirly

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Curlygirly, you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum friendly and supportive.

The problems you outline are common and I wonder if you have had a needs assessment carried out as it does seem that more help is required. There is an AS Factsheet about the assessment and you can locate it with this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/sites...assessment_for_care_in_support_in_england.pdf

It may also be of assistance to check for support services in your area and you can do a post code check if you follow this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you