Help with incontinence supplies

helenjones

Apr 2, 2016
Hi all
Im new to this but mum was diagnosed with alzheimers/vascular dementia just over a year ago. She has been in a care home for 12 months now and they have more or less always put incontinence pants on her as she been urinarally(sorry if wrong word) incontinent pretty much since diagnosis. The home have always provided these pants and never asked us to buy them. We had a few concerns with the home and they didn't like us complaining. Shortly after this they rang us at 8.30am to advise us that she was now doubly incontinent and could we provide incontinence pads for her immediately as the home had none!!!
They told us they are going to get an assessment done but I'm struggling to see why the home have made this request. Is it because they are being awkward or should we provide them?

Many thanks

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Normally the pads are provided FOC directly to the home by the local continence service.

This requires an assessment, contact the service to ask about assessment and whether they require a GP referral, they may be very slow reacting.

In some areas the quantity of pads is insufficient and more have to be provided.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I am horrified that a home is asking for families to buy pads. One of the reasons many people are in ahome is because families cannot cope with incontinence and as far as I know it has always been part of the package. The NHS continence nurses are the people you need to contact. Look up continence service on the Trust website and give them a ring. Ask them if they will do an assessment and if it could be done quickly as mum is doubly incontinent and the care home require you to buy pads - I think they will also be horrified but see how the conversation goes and let us know. I would wonder about a care home that asked families for such a basic need for their relatives

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Does it say anything in your contract about what the care home provide just out of interest? It sounds as though it is linked to your complaint.

I wonder if anyone else in the home is asked to buy pads and what they would do if the person didn't have a relative.

If you decide not to buy them then I would make sure that you visit regularly to ensure they are keeping her dry and clean - I think pads are firmly their responsibility but I'm sure others will have direct experience

Ellaroo

Nov 16, 2015
Liverpool
Mum is in care home and they should deal with all aspects of her care .
Id tell them to contact incontinence service .
Makes me wonder what other economy measures they are taking xxx

angecmc

Dec 25, 2012
hertfordshire
Hi my Mum is provided with a supply of incontinence pants/pads by the nurse but towards the due date of next supply she always runs out and we have to buy top up supply, the incontinence team only supply 2 or 3 a day, it isn't really enough especially if your relative is ill, we usually end up buying an extra week or two supply, don't want mum being left uncomfortable, as someone else said though, don't know what they do about people with no relatives x

Ange