Help with constipation for Alzheimer's patient

MaryA

Oct 22, 2006
Hi

This is my first post. My Dad is currently prone to constipation despite taking plenty of fruit and roughage. I'm sure that I have read in one of these threads how others have successfully used some type of laxative but I can't find it.

Would someone be able to give me some suggestions as he gets uncomfortable. I don't need something that works too quickly as he is quite a slow walker and I would worry about him getting to the toilet in time.

Thanks for any replies.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello - welcome to tp. Our pharmacist recommended Lactolose Syrup for David (I think all his medication at one time caused a few problems). It is quite gentle with no sudden reactions and quite harmless - but it does the trick. This is obtainable 'over the counter'. I am sure you will get other advice but hope this is helpful. Beckyjan

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi MaryA

yes, I used Lactulose when Jan had problems with constipation. It doesn't taste and I would mix it with orange juice for her.

You need to watch the results however and work out what is the best dosage regime. At one stage I was giving it to her twice a day and had to reduce the timing as it was working rather too well!

I think that, in quantity, it is cheaper to get it on prescription - worth checking.