help with care fees

rickywok

Jun 17, 2013
my mum is receiving carers am and pm for 30 mins and one day care at moment but dad is struggling with her incontinence and is considering care homes as he is finding mum very difficult to look after as he is 84 and she is not able to do anything apart from feed herself.would he have to fund all her care as she has savings or is there a point when he could get help .its such a difficult decision but don't think he can cope much longer

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Your father wouldn't have to fund any of the care himself. Your mother would be assessed on her savings alone.If her savings are above £23,250, she will be considered self-funding and will have to pay the whole fees herself. If below the £23,250, the LA will contribute to these fees on a slideing scale until the savings sink to £14, 250. Once there, your mother will be able to keep that amount and the LA will pay all the fees less her state pension which will have to be included in the payment for fees as will half of any private/ occupational pension -I think this still applies whether the funder is male or female but stand ready to be corrected on this point.
I'll try to find the relevant information sheet and post the link to it. Just click on the link.

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/factsheet/468

Last edited:

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
As said, the financial assessment can only take into account your mum's assets when it comes to paying for care, your dad can't be made to pay for any of it

The assessment will also assign half of any joint asset such as saving accounts to your mum and include it in the means test. However, their house will automatically be excluded so long as your dad lives in it.

As said, if your mum gets any occupational or private pension, then regardless of what happens, half it it must be reserved and paid to your dad, because AFAIK the rules about that apply to both sexes equally. This does not apply to state pension as said above

If your mum is in full time care then your dad would be considered 'single' as far as other benefits are concerned so he might become elligible for Pension Credit etc if he is not at the moment.