Help with 117 and pensions

Mel97

Nov 30, 2023
Hello, I am hoping someone can help.. my mum has vascular psychosis/dementia and is now in a care home after being in hospital and sectioned. She is being funded for the care home under 117 funding and we have now sold her house so I’m just updating dwp. I was advised by social worker months ago that she would keep her state pension once we sold her house, as she was under 117 but dwp and mind don’t seem to have ever heard of 117 section funding. If there anyone that’s had experience of this and should I be fighting for her to keep her pension with the Dwp.. any help would be gratefully appreciated

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Yes she will keep her pension. I phoned DWP when this happened to my mum. They needed her change of address details as she had moved into a new care home and I explained she was on 117 aftercare. Person I spoke with confirmed that she would keep her pension. No fuss no hassle.

Mel97

Nov 30, 2023
Yes she will keep her pension. I phoned DWP when this happened to my mum. They needed her change of address details as she had moved into a new care home and I explained she was on 117 aftercare. Person I spoke with confirmed that she would keep her pension. No fuss no hassle.
Oh that’s great.. the lady on the phone took all the details which would be forwarded to pension, pension credit and dla depts and they would send their decision and new info to my mum at the care home.. hopefully they will agree re the 117 . Thank you for answering 🙂

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
She may not keep her DLA , this is not an area I am familiar with. My mum no longer gets attendance allowance.

Mel97

Nov 30, 2023
Thanks .. yes I think her care component of dla will go and her pension credit too

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
She may not keep her DLA , this is not an area I am familiar with. My mum no longer gets attendance allowance.
It's broadly analogous with being in hospital, pension stays, DLA depends on component, AA stops after 28 days.