Help to complete application for Attendance Allowance

Discussion in 'Legal and financial issues' started by anonymouse, Jul 21, 2018.

  1. anonymouse

    anonymouse Registered User

    Oct 2, 2017
    We need to apply for attendance allowance for M I L. Everything I have read says we have a better chance of her being awarded this benefit if a professional helps us to complete the form. My husband has spoken to the local branch of Age UK, but they say they no longer have the time to do this. Does anybody know of anywhere else we could try?

    Thank you
  2. karaokePete

    karaokePete Volunteer Host

    Jul 23, 2017
    N Ireland
    I have heard that CAB may help.
  3. canary

    canary Registered User

    Feb 25, 2014
    South coast
    CAB have helped me fill in forms, but it sounds like policies are changing.

    If you end up having to fill in the form yourself, fill it in as if it were the absolute worst day, make sure you add examples in the box at the bottom and fill it in assuming that a different person will read every question (you are likely to repeat yourself several times)
  4. nellbelles

    nellbelles Volunteer Host

    Nov 6, 2008
    If you fill it in by yourself I found it easier to scan and print out a copy of the original then work on that (alterations can then be made without spoiling the original) then when you are satisfied with your answers copy them to the original form.
    Bit long winded but worth it.
  5. Tin

    Tin Registered User

    May 18, 2014
    An Admiral nurse if there is one in your area. Suspect the reason you have been told to get help filling in the form is because we the carers, tend to lean on the side of 'things are not that bad' and give too much information. It seems we are almost afraid to admit the worse on these forms, yet keen to give as much information as possible!!!?? Citizens Advice helped me, I kept a diary for a few weeks and when they looked at it they high lighted all the problem areas, buzz words, quick and to the point.
  6. nae sporran

    nae sporran Volunteer Host

    Oct 29, 2014
    We used a local small debt and welfare advice charity, but the other option may be to contact your local carers support centre who would recommend a good advice centre if they cannot do it themselves. will take you there.
  7. Sirena

    Sirena Registered User

    Feb 27, 2018
    I claimed AA for my mother a few months ago, fortunately the care home manager filled out the 'daily care needs' section for me (my mother is self funding so is entitled to AA). She was extremely detailed and spelt out every issue, you have to give what seem like very obvious details about exactly what help the person needs. Someone (possibly on these forums) put it this way - "It is not enough to say you've got no legs. You have to say that because you have no legs, you cannot walk".

    In case you haven't seen this, there is useful advice here about who can help, and how to fill in the form
  8. anonymouse

    anonymouse Registered User

    Oct 2, 2017
    Thanks everyone. DH now tells me that someone from DWP will be going to MIL’s house to help complete the application.
  9. anonymouse

    anonymouse Registered User

    Oct 2, 2017
    Reading the letter again, I wonder if this will be possible as we do not know MIL’s NI number and she is not able to ask for a replacement card. Also they say it is essential to see photo ID and she has none of the items on the list provided.
  10. Sirena

    Sirena Registered User

    Feb 27, 2018
    I didn't send any ID at all when I completed the AA forms, it wasn't requested. Do you mean that this a requirement for the DWP person to help fill it out?

    You will need her NI number though. It will be on any letter the DWP have sent in the past about her pension or contributions - that's how I found my mother's number. If she had a 'card' I never found it, and didn't need it.
  11. Rosebush

    Rosebush Registered User

    Apr 2, 2018
    I was lucky Age UK filled out the forms for me I found them very helpful, I wonder if Citizens advice could help? Good luck.Lx
  12. anonymouse

    anonymouse Registered User

    Oct 2, 2017
    All done! Chap from the DWP was very helpful, DH will be the appointee, the form is completed and assessment will take about six weeks.

Share This Page