Help my mum to understand what my dad is going though

Sarah lomas

Sep 1, 2018
Hi my name is Sarah my dad got diagnosed with Alzheimer's in June of this year and I understand what the disease is but my mum is really struggling to understand. I don't know how to help her understand. Can anybody help me to help my mum understand please.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hi my name is Sarah my dad got diagnosed with Alzheimer's in June of this year and I understand what the disease is but my mum is really struggling to understand. I don't know how to help her understand. Can anybody help me to help my mum understand please.
Hello and welcome to TP. I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

I’m sorry to just throw paperwork at you but the AS Publications list is a great place to find information and it can be located with this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

It may also be useful to get your mum active with available local support and you can do a post code check for what’s available by following this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

Angela57

Jan 22, 2016
Hi Sarah

I am so sorry that your mum cannot comprehend what is happening to your dad, I had the same problem with my mum to begin with. I also had the same problem with my dad when his twin brother had dementia. I found that both of them dismissed any explanation that I gave. However, they were both prepared to listen to professionals, GP, social services, occupational therapy, mental health. I do hope that the opportunity arises for mum to talk to professionals, and can come to terms with it a little at least.

I'm sure that others will be along to give you better help and hope the link may help too.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
When I need to explain to someone who finds it difficult, I gently explain it is like a progressive brain injury, taking away little bits of the brain, so someone hasn't got as much space for memory, and can act differently. Welcome to TP by the way and you will find loads of support here! Kindredxx

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paulette C