Help .. mums been diagnosed dementia

Oamanda1

Aug 22, 2018
im really confussed and devastated at the moment. Last Wednesday I had a phone call off my dad upsetmy mum didn’t no who he was. I didn’t no what to do she wouldn’t go the doctor so I went to see her gp. She told me to get her to a and e as it could be a tumour .. she’s been forgetful for a while but not like this she’s 68 years old.. we ended up having to call and a,bulance she was hysterical violent everything .. the first response came and talked her down to got hospital we went at 9 at night and after a few attempts of her trying to leave th ehospital hit and shout at everyone we saw a doctor at 3am ..then syc at 8.30 in the morning it was awful..and upsetting did a scan and they ended up section 2 on her she’s currently in the unit..and today we was told it’s dementia.. medication has finally been given but they did want to send her home yesterday which I rejected as we had no answers or help and my dad’s not the fittest of people..I just don’t no what to do now.. they have issued the sanction end and a dol in place.. they said once a care package is in place she can come home.. a social worker would be In touch,, me and my dad are confussed stressed with it and are looking for help so if anyone has any positive help for my next step I would be very very grateful

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Sorry to hear you’re all having a stressful time. I hope your mum seems more settled now with the help of medication.
I’m sure someone on here will be able to advise you but in the meantime you could phone the Alzheimer’s helpline in the morning for advice.
All the best :)

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Oamanda1 and welcome to Talking Point.

Not knowing who people are, confusion and aggression are all symptoms of mid- stage dementia. I would guess that your dad has been hiding your mums dementia for a long time. Im sorry it has all come out in such a dramatic way.

It is scary thinking that your mum has had to be sectioned and is in a unit, but many people have found that this is the only way their relative has managed to get the help they need, especially if they are refusing to see doctors (a very common thing). While she is on the unit your mum will be assessed and they will see if they can help her with medication. Once she is stable she will be discharged. This could be back home with carers coming in to help and/or day care, or it could be to a care home.

Use this time to talk to your dad about what sort of things he could, or could not cope with. If he cant cope with the caring now, there is no shame in that as eventually the disease becomes too big for one single person to do by themselves - it needs a whole team of people. Many people, though, have found that once they are stabalised on medication then they are able to continue looking after them at home. Do make sure your dad has help, though.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Oamanda1, welcome to TP from me too. It isn’t always the norm for a diagnosis to be made in such a sudden and devastating way so your feelings are very understandable as you will likely be experiencing what is called anticipatory grief.

I see that a SW will be in contact with you but, beyond that, when you can gather your thoughts a bit it may help to have a check for support services in your area and you can do a post code check by following this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

Please keep posting as the membership is a knowledgeable group and when you are ready to ask any specific questions we will be here for you.