Help - Mum is manic

Jo Sutton

Jul 8, 2016
Surrey
Thanks everyone. I'm daring to hope that the antibiotics are working here as well, @Midow.

This morning I had a conversation with Mum where she asked why she always thought her parents were alive when she knew they were dead. Two hours previously, she had been crying because she wanted to go home to her mother. Maybe it's just a rare lucid moment, but it was really nice to see the old Mum back again :)

I'm working tomorrow, so it would be good to get a decent night's sleep, and not have to worry about OH coping with her while I'm out. Fingers crossed!

Hugs

Jo xx

Jo Sutton

Jul 8, 2016
Surrey
@Moggymad and @Tin thanks for the suggestions of the dolls. I tried it, but Mum rejected it with a snort. She has a Winnie-the-Pooh cuddly hot water bottle cover as well, and won't use that. She just asks me if I think she is a little child.

Needless to say, I don't answer truthfully :rolleyes:

One thing I DID learn from the Memory Nurse was that delirium is not the same as dementia. I was assuming that it was just a normal phase in the disease, but the Nurse told me that there is always an underlying cause for delirium (usually a UTI or other infection), and that anyone can get it, not just PWDs.

So next time, I'll get the GP in straight away, instead of suffering with days of tiredness and heartache.

Hugs

Jo xx

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Slightly a side line, but if you find a comfort item, buy 2, if one is lost or needs laundering/cleaning you are never without. Years ago a patient with some severe mental disability had surgery. Her daughter, as soon as the lady left for theatre, grabbed a tattered toy and rushed off, returning 2 hours later with a cleanly laundered toy, she told me that sometimes she was washing it at 3am, when she cold sneak it away.

Prudence9

Oct 8, 2016
Oh Jo what an awful week you've had, your poor Mum and poor you.

I couldn't think of anything to help you as the week went on and I'm so glad your Mum is calmer now, you must be shattered.

My Mum has been a bit manic the last couple of days, (as much as you can be when you're unable to move from your bed), and didn't sleep for 36- ish hours until yesterday, but nothing as distressing as that.
There seem to be an awful lot of bugs doing the rounds, I wonder if they're at the root of all this?

Fingers crossed for a good night's sleep for you all so you're able to work tomorrow. xxx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssr1126