help getting dad home

ancient&modern

Oct 19, 2013
my father had an acute illness, recovered but been in hosp 3 mths. they want him go into residential care. i want him back in his own home, where he was previously. they say he is much worse than before, but htey never saw him before. he may have advanced dementia, but i know he could have a richer life at home.
please help anybody.
Padraig of hereford, if you can, please advise. is it possible to send you a private message, i so admire you, your life and what you achieved for your dear wife. i feel many resonanaces with your history and experience. you give me hope.
my father used to go day centre and i looked after him at home.
he is physically able, except now he has developed a hestitancy about standing up from a chair, it can take an hour, with persuasion and help. once up. he loves walking around looking at things. i do as much of his personal care as i can in the hosp, he manages to get up from the toilet at my bidding, and allows me to see to him as i used to.
he hates being washed, turned in the bed. wheere he would spend most of his time if i didn't come. he hates being hoisted. he hardly eats or drinks before i come.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
It sounds as if he will be needing around the clock care. I am concerned that he may be at risk of falls if there is no one there to help him up from the chair.

If you believe he is better off at home I'd talk to the PALS department of the hospital to help to support you.

Does Dad live with you or alone?

CJinUSA

Jan 20, 2014
eastern USA
i want him back in his own home, where he was previously. they say he is much worse than before, but htey never saw him before. he may have advanced dementia, but i know he could have a richer life at home.
please help anybody.
Padraig of hereford, if you can, please advise. is it possible to send you a private message, i so admire you, your life and what you achieved for your dear wife. i feel many resonanaces with your history and experience. you give me hope.
to.

Hello. If you have not read Padraig's book, you *must* - and you can contact him directly by looking up his posts, clicking on his name, going to his profile, and sending him a message (from there, I think).

Home care isn't for everyone, but for the few of us for whom it seems best, it probably *is* best. I have my mother here, and have had her here since 2008 (for most of the year visiting) and then permanently in 2009. She is much farther along than she was, but she is still mobile.

Padraig comes on, on and off, but if you'd like to be in touch with him WRITE him a message. He is ONE AMAZING PERSON!