Help and advice urgently needed please

Dud

Apr 1, 2024
Our neighbours husband is at the advanced stages of dementia and she is at her wits end. This morning her husband appeared at our door very distressed and confused. He had no trousers and underwear on. She had had to go to work, to earn the money to pay for the limited care he gets, we brought him in and sorted him out. I am concerned had he wondered into town what would have happened. Any help and advice would be very much appreciated. She feels very alone in having to deal with him 24/7.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Oh how distressing all round @Dud 😢😢

I would encourage both of you to call social services to ask tp assess for more help. Clearly your neighbour needs help looking after her husband whilst she is working.

This sounds extreme but I would also call the police if this happens again. This will get them on the ‘radar’ for needing more help.

im glad they have such understanding and kind neighbours - the issue now is ensuring she gets more help so she can look after her husband plus do what she needs to for herself such as work.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Dud and welcome to Dementia Support Forum. What a difficult situation for you. It certainly sounds as though your neighbours are in need of extra support. I agree with @sdmhred that this needs to be escalated by your neighbour.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allyjhilier