Hello

chiara

I joined about a month or so ago. I live with and care for my mother who as AD. We generally cope okay but due to advice (and even pressure) from friends, the GP and the memory nurse I have had her assessed by a social worker and had a carer's assessment, as well as signing up to Carecall.
My main problem is that I am an only child and do not have any other close family to share the caring with. I recognise that in a lot of situations the care falls to one particular family member but having no one I can call on is getting to me. My mother has good friends but she is 83 and they are also elderly (some with health problems too) , so I don't feel I can call on them to take over for a few days every now and then. The other problem is that my mother is in denial, or as the social worker said "has no insight" and believes that there is absolutely no problem,even though she is happy to admit that she cannot remember anything from one minute to the next...
With careful planning I can go away for the night but that is all. I have organised for carers to come in for half an hour twice a week to get her used to the idea of external help but (when she can recall this or when we discuss it) my mother is most put out. I can see her point of view but feel it is the only way forward if I am ever to be able to go away for a couple of days (let alone a week or fortnight!)
Is anybody else in a similar situation?

irismary

Hello Chiara. Not in exactly the same position but I can no longer leave my husband alone in the house. He does go to day care twice a week and that does give me a break - it may be worth looking into - I refer to it as his club rather than use the word care! I am having to think about respite as I know I need a break - social services can tell you which homes do respite care but I feel horrible about it already as I know he would not understand what is going on. I suppose another option is overnight carers - I have no knowledge or experience of those though. You are right to start bringing someone in though so having someone else around becomes normal as you do need support, you cannot do it alone. Local Age UK may be able to help as well, I use their sitting service for a couple of hours each week. We have to pay in this area - and for day care - but I think some local councils provide the service so worth asking. See if you can claim attendance allowance if you don't already. Take care

chiara

Thank you

Thank you Irismary, I really appreciate the advice, particularly about overnight carers. I know what you mean about renaming activities (like club not daycare centre) as it makes them sound less institutional. I hope all goes well for you.

Shedrech

hello Chiara
a warm welcome to TP
you sound to be doing well, getting organised, and, of course joining our community here; it must be tough for you on your own
I wonder if this link will help - to the AS site to find local services
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents.php?categoryID=200121&_ga=1.99352029.213745934.1462100281#!/search
I think you're wise to get as much support on place as you can - and call it whatever your mum might accept, a cleaner, a sitter, a friend who could do with a bit of extra cash, a friend of yours who just happens to end up mostly chatting with your mum ... a lunch club, a social club, the local older people's institute (as in women's ...) ...
maybe a respite break could become a holiday for her ...
best wishes