1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

1. tootyruthy

tootyruthy Registered User

Jan 20, 2015
    Hi, I'm new to this forum. It is good to read other people's stories. My Mum has Alzheimer's Disease... she was diagnosed a year ago but my Dad and I knew something was wasn't right for about 2 years before that. My mum is 72 and I'm 30. I worry about the future and how bad things will get. I think about the past and become concerned about trying to remember or realise what is my mum and what is the dementia. I worry about my Dad.
    I don't have much to say, but thought I'd say hello!

2. Ash148

Ash148 Registered User

Jan 1, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland
    Welcome to TP, Toothyruthy, it has been such a comfort to me, I hope it will be to you too.

3. Kevinl

Kevinl Registered User

Aug 24, 2013
    Salford
    Hi tootyruthy and welcome
    I stopped worrying about the future ages ago, I found out that in time the future becomes the present and then it becomes the past and as the present and the past are OK then why worry about the future:)
    K

4. irishmanc

irishmanc Registered User

Jan 14, 2015
    Manchester
    Welcome and try to take each day as it comes and not look too far ahead. Take as much advice as you can (TP is a great start) and try to stay positive (not easy).

5. Sue123

Sue123 Registered User

Aug 30, 2014
    Nottingham
    Hello & welcome.
    Im not on here much but everyone is very friendly & helpful. :)

6. Lilac Blossom

Lilac Blossom Registered User

Oct 6, 2014
    Scotland
    Hello and welcome from me too.

7. Sweet

Sweet Registered User

Jun 16, 2014
    Hello and welcome too...

This forum has been a lifeline and great comfort for me, I'm sure it will be for you x

8. Optomistic

Optomistic Registered User

Jul 24, 2014
    Manchester
    Take each day as it comes if its a good one best to enjoy it while you can. Make memories do all things that make you happy. I did a lot of worrying about the future when my husband was first diagnosed it made me feel stressed. I cope better taking it as it comes.

9. tootyruthy

tootyruthy Registered User

Jan 20, 2015
    Thanks for all saying hello! Those are good reminders to stay in the present moment. :)

10. Alison N

Alison N Registered User

Jan 3, 2015
    Surrey
    What everyone on this thread has said is so true. TP'ers have helped me enormously and I hope they can help you too. I can't really add to what they have said but welcome.

11. susy

susy Registered User

Jul 29, 2013
    North East
    Welcome. I do like your user name.

Everyone's journey is different but when problems occur, there are people who have already been there before you and will share their coping mechanisms or at very least let you know you are not on your own. So do keep posting and reading. Xxx